ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team started the season out with four runs in the top of the first inning, but home-standing Anderson University came back. The Trojans evened the score twice and King came back to send the game to extra innings with one run in the ninth, but Anderson took the 9-8 win with a run in the 10th inning.
FINAL SCORE: Anderson 9, King 8 (F/10)
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Anderson 1-0
TIME OF GAME: 3:52
King Starting Lineup
1. Tony Valdes – CF
2. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
3. Kevin Barbato – LF
4. Bubba Ruiz – C
5. Hunter Barbour 1B
6. Ashton King – RF
7. Mark Michael – 3B
8. Austin Meyer – DH
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP George Helbig
Anderson Starting Lineup
1. William Thomas – CF
2. Tyler Miller – SS
3. Jackson Strange – 3B
4. Chandler Castleberry – RF
5. Joseph Strange – C
6. Matthew Overton – LF
7. Mason Covey – DH
8. Chase Stephens – 1B
9. Will Lindsey – 2B
Starting Pitcher: RHP John McMicking
- King led the Tornado offense, going 3-for-5 with two runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Michael also drove in two runs while Castaneda, and Ruiz record two hits each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado wasted no lighting up the scoreboard with four runs in the top of the first, all coming with two outs.
- Michael had the final blow, a two-run double to right center that scored King and Barbour.
- Anderson chipped away at their deficit with single runs in the third and fourth innings, but the Tornado answered in the fifth inning.
- King came up with a two-out single that scored Castenada, stretching the Tornado lead back to 5-2.
- Anderson evened the score at five with three runs, two on a Miller double down the right field line, but King answered.
- Valdes drove in Michael with a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth.
- The lead was short-lived, however, as Anderson tallied an unearned run, evening the tally at 6-6.
- The scored remained the same until Bailey came up with a two-out single that score King in the top of the eighth, putting the Tornado back ahead.
- In the bottom half of the inning, a single and a walk put two runners on for Anderson. A sacrifice bunt moved them over and Miller came up with a single, putting the Trojans ahead for the first time at 8-7.
- Following a leadoff single, from Castaneda in the ninth, Barbato evened the score with a triple.
- However, Anderson escaped the jam, sending the game to the bottom of the inning even at 8-8.
- The Trojans got a pair of runners in the bottom of the inning, but Jared Bridges got out of the inning for the Tornado, sending the game to extra innings.
- King put a runner on third with one out in the top of the 10th and later loaded the bases, but couldn't push a run across as Anderson escaped the jam to keep the game tied.
- In the bottom of the inning, Anderson put runners on second and third with no outs, and following an out, Strange singled, scoring the winning run as the Trojans took the contest 9-8.
FOR THE FOES
- Miller drove in four runs, and scored twice while going 2-for-5.
- Strange, Overton and Stephens all added two hits apiece for the Trojans.
Winning Pitcher: Christian Carpenter (1-0) 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jared Bridges (0-1) 2-1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
- King and Anderson wrap-up their three-game set on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 1:00 p.m.