BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team came from behind to win in each game of the doubleheader Friday afternoon against Davis & Elkins College. The Tornado took game one 10-2 and followed that up with a 4-2 victory in the second game to record two wins on the day against the Senators.
FINAL SCORE: King 10, Davis & Elkins 2; King 4, Davis & Elkins 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-2; Davis & Elkins 0-4
- J.P. Castaneda recorded four hits in five at bats on the day for King. He posted a triple and drove in three runs.
- Tony Valdes went three for five on the day and laced a triple of his own in addition to scoring four runs. Kevin Barbato drove in three runs for the Tornado and scored three runs.
- Brandon Leonard pitched four and a third innings with a 0.00 earned run average. He recorded six strikeouts on the day while giving up only one hit and one walk.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Senators struck first when they scored on a wild pitch to take an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first.
- However, a Barbato triple drove two runs in for the Tornado to give them a 2-1 lead over the visitors. Barbato would later score and increase the King lead to 3-1 after the first inning.
- In the bottom of the second, Castaneda recorded a triple of his own to drive in two runs for the Tornado and give them a 5-1 lead after two innings.
- King put three more runs on the board in the bottom of the third to take an 8-1 lead over the Senators.
- Barbato laced a double in the bottom of the fourth to drive in a run for the Tornado. He would later score on a Mark Michael single to give King a 10-1 lead.
- After a strong first four innings, the Tornado put the game out of reach. The Senators would score one run in the seventh inning, but could not manage a late rally. King took game one 10-2 over Davis & Elkins.
Winning Pitcher: Grant Boyd (1-1) 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nicholas Sanderson (0-1) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Senators struck first in this one when they put up two runs in the second inning to take a 2-0 lead on the Tornado.
- However, King fired back in the bottom of the third following a Valdes triple that brought Tyler Bailey in to score. Castaneda single at the next at bat to bring Valdes in. After three innings, the Tornado and Senators were tied 2-2.
- Fast forward to the bottom of the fifth inning. With Valdes on second, a Davis & Elkins wild pitch allowed Valdes to score and break the 2-2 tie giving the Tornado their first lead of the game.
- Later in the inning, a Hunter Barbour single to right field brought in Barbato to extend the King lead to 4-2.
- With Brandon Leonard dealing on the bump and strong defense being played by the Tornado, King held Davis & Elkins scoreless the rest of the way and took the contest 4-2.
Winning Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (1-0) 4.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brent McMillion (0-1) 4.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Johnny Liu led the Senators at the plate recording two hits on the day along with one run batted in and one run scored.
- Shawn Pass also recorded two hits on the day for Davis & Elkins along with one run scored.
- King hosts Mansfield University next weekend with a doubleheader on both Saturday and Sunday. Game one on both days will begin at 12:00 pm.