BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team went for the sweep of their Conference Carolinas series against Emmanuel College on Sunday afternoon. The Tornado held the lead early, but the Lions scored in the late innings to take the 4-3 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 4, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-4, 4-2 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 6-11, 1-8 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 2:52
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
2. Mark Michael – 3B
3. Tony Valdes – CF
4. Bubba Ruiz – C
5. Tyler Bailey – SS
6. Hunter Barbour – 1B
7. Kevin Barbato – LF
8. Austin Meyer – RF
9. Trader Flora - DH
Starting Pitcher: RHP George Helbig
Emmanuel Starting Lineup
1. Phillip Swindell – C
2. Brock Baughcum – 2B
3. Dustin McNicholl – CF
4. Hanon Price – LF
5. Daniel Gooden – DH
6. Jacob Teston – RF
7. Jake Nichols – 3B
8. Jordan McClure – 1B
9. Chaise Parker – SS
Starting Pitcher: RHP Ethan Bailey
- Kevin Barbato led the Tornado offense, going 4-for-4 on the day, scoring one run and driving in one.
- J.P. Castaneda drove in a pair of runs, including one to tie the game in the seventh and one to pull King within on in the ninth.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bailey got the Tornado going in the second inning with a leadoff double down the left field line. He later scored on a Barbato single, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- The score remained the same until the seventh inning as both starting pitchers threw well.
- For the Tornado, Helbig allowed two runs on six hits in seven innings. Over the first six innings he only allowed six hits and struck out six. His day ended with seven strikeouts.
- On the other side, Ethan Bailey only allowed that one run on five hits in five and one thirds innings.
- The Lions got to Helbig in the seventh with a leadoff single that was followed by a triple from Teston to even the score.
- Teston scored on a groundout to give Emmanuel the lead.
- Barbato got the offense going in the seventh with a single. He stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a Castaneda single with two strikes, evening the score at 2-2.
- The tie was short lived, however, as Emmanuel scored a pair on a two-run double from Price, taking a 4-2 lead.
- In the ninth, the Tornado loaded the bases with one out with the top of the lineup coming up.
- Castaneda ripped a sacrifice fly to center field, moving runners to second and third and pulling King within 4-3.
- However, King couldn't push across the tying run as the Lions took the contest 4-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Baughcum and McNicholl both recorded two hits and scored once.
- Price drove in a pair on one hit.
Winning Pitcher: Colton Bridges (1-1) 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Save: Cody Waters (1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Christian Lindsey (1-1) 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
- King travels to Mars Hill University on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel travels to the University of North Georgia on Wednesday evening.