BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball got off to a hot start against Erskine College and later hit a buzzer beater to end the first half. The Tornado then cruised to the 79-57 Conference Carolinas victory in the second half.
FINAL SCORE: King 79, Erskine 57
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-8, 5-3 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 5-9, 2-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mike Salomon got the Tornado off to a hot start, converting a three-point play and drilling a triple to give King a 10-0 run in the opening two minutes.
- Shon'Dre Dukes gave King their largest lead of the opening half at 25-11 with a layup nine minutes in.
- However, the Flying Fleet began to work their way back, scoring 11 straight points.
- Erskine cut their deficit to two twice in the final three minutes, but the Tornado went into halftime with momentum.
- Je'Don Young beat the buzzer with a triple, giving King the 40-35 lead at the break.
- King opened the second half with a 10-0 run, capped by a dunk from Jordan Floyd as Young threw him a lob, putting the Tornado up 50-37.
- The Tornado put the game out of reach with an 11-2 run, capped by a Kalen Clifton steal and layup.
- Floyd gave King their largest lead of the game, 22 points, as the Tornado took the contest 79-57.
- Floyd led five scorers in double figures with 19 points and added five rebounds.
- Young and Salomon followed with 12 points apiece with Young handing out a team-high six assists and Salomon grabbing four rebounds.
- Clifton chipped in with 10 rebounds and four assists.
- Owens rounded out the group with 10 points and 10 rebounds for the double-double.
FOR THE FOES
- Austin Venable led Erskine with 14 points and 11 rebounds for the double-double.
- Zezmon Steeple accounted for 10 points and Justin Shelton snared 10 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King posted five scorers in double figures for the third time this season and second time in as many games.
- It also marks the first time since King became NCAA Division II members the Tornado have had five scorers in double figures in back-to-back games.
- Owens posted his 10th double-double of the season.
- King hosts Emmanuel College on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Erskine travels to Lees-McRae College on Monday afternoon.