MARS HILL, N.C. – The King University men's soccer team fell behind Mars Hill University early, but Carlos Saavedra led the Tornado back on Wednesday night. He got the Tornado on the board in the first half, and put King ahead in the 79th minute, giving King the 3-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mars Hill 2
LOCATION: Meares Stadium; Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-1; Mars Hill 0-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill pressured the Tornado early as Jake Davis made a pair of saves in the opening 10 minutes.
- However, the Lions broke through in the 19th minute when Elliott Tate's shot hit the crossbar, but Stian Sanner was there to put the rebound in and give Mars Hill the lead.
- Jordan Lennon gave Mars Hill a 2-0 lead in the 28th minute when he found the back of the net off of a free kick.
- King then turned the field over the second half of the first stanza as Michael Young's shot ricocheted off the crossbar.
- The rebound ended up at Carlos Saavedra's feet, and Saavedra found the back of the net for his first goal of the season.
- The momentum carried over to the second half for the Tornado as Saavedra found Ben Harris on a cross from inside the box, and Harris ripped his shot to the back of the net, evening the tally at 2-2.
- In the 79th minute, Saavedra found Luis Calderon who passed the ball back to a streaking Saavedra down the left side.
- Saavedra dribble and ripped his shot between to the keeper's legs and into the net, putting King on top 3-2.
- The Lions responded with a shot, but the Tornado defense stepped in the way in the 80th minute.
- Mars Hill had another scoring chance in the 84th minute, but the shot sailed high as King took the contest 3-2.
- King took six shots in the contest, placing five on goal.
- Davis made two saves in the match to earn the win.
FOR THE FOES
- Mars Hill took 12 shots, placing four on frame and earned four corner kicks.
- Ben Lucas made two saves in goal.
- The goals for Sanner and Lennon where their first tallies of the year.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Saavedra, the goals were the first goals of his career, and his first game-winning goal.
- The goal for Harris marked his first of the season and second of his career.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they travel to Erskine College. Kickoff from Due West, S.C. is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- Mars Hill hosts Carson-Newman University on Wednesday.