WILSON, N.C. – The King University men's soccer team capped their season with their third straight win, a come-from-behind victory at Barton College on Saturday. The Tornado got second half goals from Adonis Wheeler and Carlos Saavedra to lift King over Barton 2-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Barton 1
LOCATION: Barton Soccer Field; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 5-9-2, 1-8-1 Conference Carolinas; Barton 5-12-1, 1-8-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton controlled play in the early going as they grabbed the lead in the ninth minute.
- Pol Monells found Ruben Mancio in front of the net, and he place his shot inside the back post to put the Bulldogs on top.
- Barton continued with the pressure, taking eight shots in the first half, three of which were turned away by Tornado goalkeeper Jake Davis.
- King earned a pair of chances in the final five minutes of the half as Faber Bickerstaffe's shot sailed wide in the 42nd minute and Saavedra had another turned away.
- Davis' final save of the half came in the 44th minute, sending the game to halftime with Barton holding a 1-0 lead.
- The Tornado came out and earned a pair of corner kicks in the first 10 minutes with the second one paying off.
- Luis Calderon found Adonis Wheeler in front of the net, and he beat the keeper, evening the tally at 1-1.
- King the controlled play for the next 20 minutes, taking three more shots, but all were turned away by the Bulldog goal keeper.
- However, Saavedra broke through in the 73rd minute, ripping his shot to the lower left corner of the net, giving King the 2-1 advantage.
- The Tornado defense clamped down in the second half, only allowing three Barton shots, no of which were on frame.
- The Bulldogs did threaten to even the score in the 78th minute, but Moells' shot hit the crossbar as King took the contest 2-1.
- The Tornado placed seven of 10 shots on frame and earned three corner kicks.
- Davis made three saves in goal for King.
FOR THE FOES
- Barton took 11 shots in the contest, placing four on goal and earned two corner kicks.
- Jens Madsen Hordvik made five saves in goal for the Bulldogs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Wheeler was the first of his career.
- For Saavedra, the game-winner marks his second of the season.
- The senior trio of Bickerstaffe, Calderon and Ben Allan played their final game for the Tornado.
- Calderon handed out an assist while Bickerstaffe posted a pair of shots and Allan anchored the King defense.