BRISTOL, Tenn. – King College made its appearance at the 2012 Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Tournament but was eliminated in the first round at the hands of Coker College by a 5-4 final count. King fell behind 2-1 after doubles competition ended and took three of the first four singles flights to seal their win, eliminating the Tornado from the tournament.
The Tornado fell behind by two points early after dropping its first two doubles matches. Jose Avila and Pablo Vidal dropped an 8-2 decision to Leonardo Lima and Manel Estruga. Leo Brigato and Vitor Villar kept close in the second flight, but ultimately fell by an 8-6 score. Patrick Jones and Seth Hale kept the Tornado alive and avoided a doubles sweep by easily defeating James Corfield and Ricardo Perez, 8-3.
The match was determined in singles play where Coker took three of the top four flights to seal their win. Jose Avila won his first set against Leonardo Lima, but dropped consecutive sets as the Tornado fell behind 3-1. Pablo Vidal brought King within one match point with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Guillermo Avlon, but the Tornado's Vitor Villar and Patrick Jones were beaten in the third and fourth flights of singles play, giving Coker the win. Leo Brigato and Seth Hale finished strong with singles wins to close the gap to 5-4.
With the loss, King was eliminated from the 2012 Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Tournament after one round of play. This caps off a season in which the Tornado went 13-6 overall as a team, 7-3 in conference play.
Pablo Vidal (Madrid, Spain) led the team with an overall record of 14-5 singles record and earned a place on the All-Conference Third Team. Jose Avila (Cuernavaca, Mexico) finished the year 11-6 overall singles mark as the team's No. 1 player and earned a First Team All-Conference award. The tandem combined in doubles play to finished 10-7.
Seth Hale (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Patrick Jones (Bluff City, Tenn.) finished with the team's best doubles record at 15-4 overall, 8-2 against league opponents.
Coker College 5, King College 4
April 20, 2012
1. Leonardo Lima (CC) def. Jose Avila (KC) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Pablo Vidal (KC) def. Guillermo Aylon (CC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Manel Estruga (CC) def. Vitor Villar (KC) 6-2, 6-0
4. James Corfield (CC) def. Patrick Jones (KC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Leo Brigato (KC) def. Billy Simpson (CC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Seth Hale (KC) def. Ricardo Perez (CC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Leonardo Lima/Manel Estruga (CC) def. Jose Avila/Pablo Vidal (KC) 8-2
2. Guillermo Aylon/Billy Simpson (CC) def. Leo Brigato/Vitor Villar (KC) 8-6
3. Patrick Jones/Seth Hale (KC) def. James Corfield/Ricardo Perez (CC) 8-3
Match Notes: #5 Coker beats #4 King to advance to semis against #1 Limestone