BRISTOL, Tenn. – King University men's tennis team earned their first Conference Carolinas win of the season on Saturday when they defeated Erskine College. The Tornado swept the doubles matches and continued that streak in singles play to take the dual 9-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Erskine 0
LOCATION: Bristol Racquet Club; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-6, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 0-10, 0-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The No. 1 doubles match between Lennard Neumann and Alejandro Feliciano of King and Steven Zahui and Ross Edgar of Erskine went to a tie breaker. The Tornado tandem came away with the 8-7 (7-4) victory.
- At the second flight, Lenny Keswani and Arturo Alfaro topped Ritwik Bhriguvanshi and Ary Boltansky 8-5 and King took a 3-0 lead when Charles Jabaley and Sebastian Lieflaender defeated Nathan Cooper and Isaac Giddens 8-1 at No. 3 doubles.
- In singles play, Keswani defeated Zahui 6-0, 6-1 at the top flight while Neumann topped Bhriguvanshi 6-2, 6-4 at the second flight.
- At No. 4 singles, Jabaley defeated Boltansky 6-4, 6-3 and Feliciano had to go to a third set to defeat Edgar at the third flight.
- Feliciano took the first set 6-2 before falling 6-1. However, he won the final set 10-7.
- Noah Baker topped Giddens 8-5 at the sixth flight and a win by retirement gave King the 9-0 victory.
- King hosts UVa-Wise on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
- Erskine travels to Anderson University on Monday.