LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The King University men's volleyball team opened their season Friday night in Los Angeles, California where they took on nationally ranked UCLA. King fought hard, but struggled against the much larger UCLA team. The Tornado fell to Bruins in straight sets.
FINAL SCORE: UCLA 3, King 0
LOCATION: John Wooden Center; Los Angeles, Calif.
RECORDS: King 0-1; UCLA 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado started strong against the Bruins as they took an early 4-2 lead on a Kiel Bell kill. Unfortunately, their lead would not last for long as UCLA rattled of four straight points making it 6-4 Bruins.
- King stayed within striking distance for a majority of the first set, but could not quite break the Bruin defense enough to regain the lead.
- Midway through the set, the Tornado recordeda flurry of three straight points, but all came off of Bruin errors making the score 20-16.
- However, the UCLA offense cleaned up their mishaps and finished off the Tornado 25-17 to take set one.
- King started off strong again in the second set as they led 6-3 after a Jon Wheaton kill.
- Jeff Sprayberry would give the Tornado their final lead of the set, however, with a kill to break an 8-8 tie early in the second set.
- Following the kill by Sprayberry, UCLA went on a 17-7 run to close out the set 25-16 over the Tornado.
- In the third set, the Tornado started slow and quickly let the set get away from them. UCLA started the match by taking a 10-3 early.
- King tried to claw back into the set, but the Bruin offense proved to be too much for the Tornado. UCLA took the third set 25-11 and ultimately the match 3-0.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with 8 kills and was followed by Wheaton who posted 5 kills of his own.
- Drooker recorded 16 assists for the Tornado to go along with four digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Jake Arnitz and JT Hatch led the Bruins with eight kills a piece.
- Micah Ma'a recorded 30 assists, four service aces, and six digs for UCLA.
- King is in action again Saturday when they take on McKendree at 1:00pm eastern time. Followed by a second match against UC San Diego at 8:00pm eastern time.
- UCLA takes on McKendree Saturday night at 10:30pm eastern time.