SALISBURY, N.C. – The King University softball team opened Wednesday's doubleheader at Catawba College with an offensive explosion. The Tornado posted 14 hits in their 17-3 victory. However, the Tornado offense was stymied in the nightcap, falling 2-0 to the Indians.
FINAL SCORE: King 17, Catawba 3; Catawba 2, King 0
LOCATION: Whitley Field; Salisbury, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-9; Catawba 11-9
- Summer Hayes paced the offense, driving in five runs, and ripping a home run in the opening contest.
- Hannah Riddle ripped a pair of doubles and scored three runs.
- Kay Brokering also scored three runs, lacing one double.
- Along with Riddle, Jenna Burnett posted three. She also drove in three runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Burnett opened the scoring in the first inning with a single that scored Candice Maness. Riddle scored on an error on the play, giving King a 2-0 lead.
- The Tornado had the opportunity to score more, but left the bases loaded.
- King broke the game open with 11 runs on seven hits in the third inning.
- The frame was highlighted by a Hayes grand slam.
- The Tornado added four runs in the fourth inning, highlighted by a single Burnett that drove in one and a Brokering double that scored Katelyn Davidson.
- Catawba scored three runs in the fifth, but King took the contest 17-3.
- In the circle for the Tornado was Rachel Farmer who didn't allow a hit until the fourth inning. She only gave up five hits in the contest struck out four.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (2-2)) 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Madison Hunter (5-2) 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The nightcap was a pitcher's duel between Raven Allender of King and Catawba's Preston Ellenberg.
- Ellenberg limited the hot Tornado offense to one hit, a Davidson two-out single in the first inning, and only faced five batters over the minimum.
- Allender was nearly as impressive for the Tornado, but the Indians were able to plate single runs in each the second and third innings.
- Ellenberg ripped a leadoff home run in the second inning, giving the Indians the lead.
- In the third, it was Ellenberg that struck again, with a run scoring single to give Catawba a 2-0 lead.
- Ellenberg made that standup in the cirle as the Indians took the contest 2-0.
Winning Pitcher: Preston Ellenberg (3-0) 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Raven Allender (1-1) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- In the opening contest, leadoff hitter Carlee Brawley posted a pair of hits and drove in two while scoring once.
- Ellenberg posted two hits, drove in a pair and scored once in game two.
- Delane Smith also posted two hits in the nightcap.
- King is scheduled to be in action against Ohio Valley University and Mars Hill University on Saturday. The action is scheduled to start at 11:00 a.m.
- Catawba travels to Emmanuel College on Friday afternoon.