BURLINGTON, N.C. – The King University softball team outlasted top seed Limestone College in a winner's bracket game on Friday night in the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. Leslie Odom shutout the Saints over nine innings and Conference Carolinas Player of the Year Hannah Riddle gave the fourth seeded Tornado the lead in the ninth inning as King took the contest 4-0.
FINAL SCORE: No. 4 King 4, No. 1 Limestone 0 (F/9)
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 32-11; King 31-19
- The Tornado pounded out 11 hits in the contest, led by Riddle's four hits, including game-winning double in the ninth inning.
- Katelyn Davidson posted one hit on the day, but it was a two-run home run in the ninth inning.
- Ashley Parnell and Siara Shelton posted two hits each for Limestone.
- Odom used 105 pitches to defeat the Saints, allowing only six hits and striking out six in nine innings.
- For Limestone, Josie Weber allowed six hits in four and two-thirds innings while Courtney Smith allowed four runs on five hits in four and one-thirds innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King threatened with two base runners in the first, third and fourth innings, but couldn't get a key hit against Weber.
- Odom was efficient for the Tornado in the early going, allowing three hits over the first five innings.
- King had their best scoring chance in the fifth inning when they loaded the bases. However, Smith came in and got out of the jam to keep the game scoreless.
- Through seven innings, King left nine runners on base, and added two more in the eighth inning as the game remained scoreless.
- The Tornado offense finally broke through in the ninth inning as Summer Hayes started the frame with a single to left field.
- Following an out, Riddle crushed a double to center field, scoring Hayes and putting King ahead.
- Jenna Burnett scored Riddle with a groundout before Davidson ripped a home run, vaulting the Tornado into a 4-0 lead.
- Limestone recorded a pair of hits in the seventh, but Odom stranded runners on the corners, giving King the 4-0 victory.
- King takes on third seed North Greenville University in the winner's bracket at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Limestone will square off with sixth seed Belmont Abbey College in an elimination game at 12:00 p.m.