BURLINGTON, N.C. – For the second time in as many days, fourth seed King University defeated top seed Limestone College, eliminating the Saints from the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship. Seniors Erin Roper and Hannah Riddle led the offensive attack for the Tornado, each hitting home runs in the 5-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: No. 4 King 5, No. 1 Limestone 1
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Limestone 34-12; King 32-20
- Roper went 2-for-2 for King and drove in three runs. She laced her second career home run.
- Riddle also collected two this and drove in two. She ripped her 13th home run of the season.
- Danielle Parks scored twice and Kaycee Casteel posted two hits.
- For Limestone, Ashley Parnell, Tessa Faucette and Olivia Chapman registered two hits each.
- Emma Hughes tossed four innings, allowing only one run on six hits.
- She was relieved by Rachel Farmer who tossed the final three innings to earn the save.
- Josie Weber got the start for Limestone and allowed four runs on eight hits in five innings.
- Courtney Smith relieved her, throwing the final two innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Parks started a two-out rally for King in the second inning with a bunt single.
- Following a Casteel single, Parks scored on an Roper single to put King ahead.
- Riddle extended the lead when she ripped the third pitch of the third inning over the foul pole in right field. The home run gave King a 2-0 lead.
- Limestone threatened with runners on the corners in the bottom of the third, but Hughes got a strikeout to keep the Saints off the board.
- Following a one-out Casteel single, Roper ripped a home run that carried the right centerfield fence, giving King a 4-0 lead.
- Limestone loaded the bases with no outs in the fifth inning, but Farmer induced a popout for the first out.
- A groundout then scored a run before a groundout ended the inning with King leading 4-1.
- The Tornado got that run back in the sixth on a Riddle sacrifice fly that scored Parks to give King a 5-1 lead.
- Farmer then got the final six outs, including a 1-2-3 seventh inning to give King the 5-1 victory.
- King advances to take on third seed North Greenville University at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- The Tornado will need to defeat the Crusaders twice to win the Conference Carolinas Softball Championship, while North Greenville needs one win.
- Limestone is eliminated.