BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team put together a very consistent effort on Monday night in the quarterfinal of the Conference Carolinas Championship. The third seeded Tornado defeated sixth seed North Greenville University 77-56, scoring 21 points in three quarters to keep their season alive.
FINAL SCORE: King 77, North Greenville 56
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-11; North Greenville 11-19
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders got the first basket of the game, but King answered with seven points in 30 seconds. Jalan Harper drilled a triple, then stole the ensuing inbounds pass and made a layup. Harper followed that with another steal and fed Arnelle Collins for a layup to put King up 7-2.
- North Greenville answered with eight straight points to regain the lead. The Crusaders held the lead as the teams traded baskets over the second half of the first quarter. North Greenville held a 15-14 lead after one quarter.
- King opened the second quarter with 11 straight points to open up a 25-15 lead. Harper started the spurt with a triple and later made back-to-back layups before Madison Davis capped the run with a layup.
- The Crusaders cut into their deficit a bit, King closed the half on a 6-0 run that Davis started with a jump shot. Stephanie Brantley followed with a layup and Amy Van Deventer gave King a 35-24 lead at the half with a jump shot in the final minute.
- In the middle of the third quarter, King used an 8-0 run that was started by a Kristen Cupples jump shot. Ashley Albertson followed with consecutive layups and Davis gave King a 54-34 leade with another layup.
- North Greenville answered with a jump shot and triple before Cupples drilled a jump shot, giving King a 56-39 lead after three.
- The Tornado held a sizeable lead throughout the fourth quarter and Davis gave King their largest lead of the game, 22 points with a triple as King took the contest 77-56.
- Harper led King with 20 points, going 8-for-9 from the floor, including 4-for-4 from three-point range. She added five rebounds and two assists.
- Van Deventer followed with 12 points and eight rebounds while Davis added 11 points of 5-for-6 shooting.
- Collins chipped in with 10 points for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Cameron Carter led North Greenville with 18 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Tyler Powers added 15 points while Erika Cobb chipped in with 11 points.
- Ty Broadwater accounted for 11 rebounds to go along with seven points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win for King gives them their second Conference Carolinas Tournament victory in school history. The Tornado last defeated fifth seed Lees-McRae College in 2013-14.
- The Tornado advance to the Conference Carolinas Tournament semifinal where they will face second seed, University of Mount Olive. The teams split the regular season series with each team winning on the other's home floor.
- Harper matched a season-high with those 20 points.
- The Conference Carolinas Championship shifts to top seed Limestone College for the semifinals and finals. The Tornado will take on Mount Olive on Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. in Gaffney, S.C.