BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team took on North Greenville University in their Conference Carolinas home opener. The Tornado recorded a strong fourth quarter to take down the Crusaders 67-56 and improve to 1-0 in conference play.
FINAL SCORE: King 67, North Greenville 56
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-3, 1-0 Conference Carolinas 1-0; North Greenville 0-6, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a slow start in this one as they didn't score their first points until 6:30 remaining in the first quarter when Kristen Cupples made one of her eight field goals for the game.
- Amy Van Deventer finished the quarter with a layup as time expired for the Tornado. At the end of the first, King trailed 18-13 after shooting 21.4 percent from the field.
- The second quarter went back and forth between the two teams. Each team scored 20 points in the quarter as the Tornado found themselves still trailing by five points at the end of the half.
- Cupples hit a two-point jumper as time expired to cut the Crusaders lead to 38-33 going into halftime.
- The third quarter was sloppy for both teams as the Tornado shot 17.6 percent from the field and the Crusaders shot 12.5 percent.
- Heading into the fourth, King had the game tied up 42-42.
- The fourth quarter was the story in this one as the Tornado really took control of the contest behind some hot shooting from the field. King shot 55.6 percent from the field and 50.0 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Tornado started the final quarter on a 15-5 run to establish a solid lead. A Cupples three point basket capped off the run for King. Cupples posted ten of her twenty points in the fourth quarter.
- Ali Golden hit a shot from beyond the arc with 1:37 remaining in the contest to give King a commanding 67-54 lead.
- The Tornado would go on to defeat the Crusaders 67-56.
- Cupples led the way for King as she posted 20 points and six rebounds.
- Golden had a great all-around game as she recorded 10 points, 6 assists, and 5 rebounds for the Tornado.
- King finished the night shooting 39.1 percent from the field and 80.0 percent from the free throw line.
FOR THE FOES
- Bree Stoddard led the way offensively for the Crusaders as she posted a team-high 13 points.
- Bailey Breazeale recorded 10 points and 6 rebounds for North Greenville.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Golden recorded a career-high six assists and five rebounds for the Tornado.
- Cupples posted a season-high 20 points tonight for King.
- King heads to Limestone Saturday afternoon for a 2:00 pm start. The conference matchup will be streamed live on ESPN3.
- North Greenville travels to Belmont Abbey College on Saturday.