SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team headed to Converse College for a Conference Carolinas matchup Saturday afternoon. The Tornado used an all-round team effort on the boards to defeat the Valkyries 76-68 and extended their winning streak to three games.
FINAL SCORE: King 76, Converse 68
LOCATION: Sally Abney Rose Complex; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 8-9, 5-5 Conference Carolinas; 6-11, 2-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a slow shooting start in this one, but managed to take a 4-2 lead early on following an Ali Golden two point basket.
- King trailed by two midway through the first quarter, but a Kori West layup tied the game up 11-11 at the 3:07 mark.
- West scored the final seven points of the quarter for the Tornado to give them a 20-15 lead after one. West had a huge first quarter and finished it with 13 points and seven rebounds.
- King struggled to start the second quarter as Converse went on an 8-1 run to take a 23-21 lead over the Tornado.
- The Tornado would fight back to tie up the contest 27-27 following an Arnelle Collins three point basket.
- Unfortunately, Collins' basket occurred with 3:29 remaining in the half and that would be the last points the Tornado would score until the second half. The Valkyries used a 5-0 run to take a 32-27 halftime lead over King.
- Converse came out of the halftime break sharp as they went on a 7-0 run to start the third quarter.
- Despite a 12 point deficit, the Tornado fought back to tie the game up 41-41 with four minutes remaining in the quarter.
- With 1:17 remaining in the third quarter, Che' Davis dumped in a layup to give the Tornado a 48-46 lead. Golden would chip in a free throw to give King a 49-46 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- The Tornado never trailed in the fourth quarter as they held off the Valkyries throughout.
- When the King lead was cut to one with 4:50 remaining in the contest, Taylor Freeman grabbed an offensive rebound and put the ball back up for a layup to extend the lead to 60-57.
- Two more times within the next the minute Converse would cut King's lead to one, but each time the Tornado answered with a bucket.
- Back-to-back Freeman layups late in the fourth quarter gave King a 70-62 lead. The Tornado would make free throws down the stretch to close out the game to take a 76-68 win over the Valkyries.
- West led the Tornado with 21 points, nine rebounds, and four assists.
- Golden posted 13 points and four assists while fellow freshman teammate Freeman recorded 12 points, six rebounds, and five assists.
- Kristen Cupples and Davis each chipped in nine points apiece and combined for 24 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Lindsey Rogers had a monster game for the Valkyries with 36 points and 15 rebounds.
- Briana Hill chipped in 11 points and six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West posted her second 20-point game in the last three contests for the Tornado.
- King had four players who each grabbed at least nine rebounds.
- Freeman hit double digit points for the fourth straight game.
- King travels to Erskine College Tuesday night at 5:30 pm for a Conference Carolinas matchup.
- Converse hosts Southern Wesleyan University January 26.