BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team finished off the weekend sweep with a win against the University of Mount Olive on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado used a stellar first half to build up a big lead, and despite a late Mount Olive push the Tornado were able to hang on for the victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 62, Mount Olive 50
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-9, 8-5 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 8-13, 6-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King wasted no time scoring in this one as they jumped out to an early 6-0 lead over Mount Olive following a Kori West basket.
- The Tornado then went on a 12-6 run midway through the first quarter to take an 18-6 lead over the visiting Trojans following an Ali Golden jumper.
- King followed this run up with another one as they went on a 9-2 run to finish the quarter with a 27-11. Golden and West led the way in the quarter for the Tornado. Golden posted 11 points and West recorded eight points in the opening quarter.
- The second quarter opened up with back-to-back West baskets to extend the Tornado lead to 20 points.
- The Trojans cut into the Tornado lead a bit midway through the quarter, however, a Kristen Cupples three point basket extended the King lead to 37-16 with 4:15 remaining until the half.
- As the second quarter finished up, the Tornado found themselves with a 43-22 lead over the visiting Trojans.
- West and Golden each recorded 14 points during the first half of play.
- Arnelle Collins opened up the second half with a two-point basket to add a couple more points to the Tornado lead.
- However, the Trojans picked up the defense and King struggled to get much going offensively throughout the quarter. Mount Olive went on a 17-7 run to close out the third quarter and cut the Tornado lead to 52-39.
- The King lead was cut even further to start the fourth quarter when the Trojans scored a couple baskets to make it 52-44 King. However, a Golden three point basket extended the Tornado lead back to double digits.
- Collins buried some free throws late to help King hold off a late Mount Olive run and take a 62-50 victory over the visitors.
- Golden led the scoring for the Tornado with 20 points and four assists.
- West posted a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Felecity Havens led the way for Mount Olive with 21 points and six rebounds.
- Ni'Ya Styles chipped in 13 points for the Trojans.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The Tornado extend their winning streak to six games.
- West posts another double-double with her 18 points and 13 rebound game. She has recorded a double-double in five of her last six games.
- King travels to Emmanuel College on February 3 for a 2:00 pm game against a Conference Carolinas foe.
- The University of Mount Olive hosts Converse College on January 31.