BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team traveled to Emmanuel College Saturday afternoon to take on the Lions in a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Lions used free throws to hold off a late game run made by the Tornado. King fell to Emmanuel 74-67.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 74, King 67
LOCATION: Williams Arena; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 11-10, 8-6 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 12-7, 7-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a slow start in this one as their first points did not come until 4:59 remaining in the first quarter when Jada Owens dumped in a two point basket.
- The Tornado would go on to score ten more points in the quarter including a Kori West layup with 21 seconds remaining to cut the Tornado deficit to 17-12.
- King shot 27.8 percent from the field and 12.5 percent from three point range in the first quarter. Owens led the offense in the quarter with five points.
- The Tornado dumped in five quick points to start the second quarter as Ali Golden tossed in a layup and Arielle Holloway made a three point basket.
- The quarter went back-and-fourth between the teams as both teams traded leads. Golden nailed a three point basket with seven seconds remaining in the half to bring King within one point as the Tornado trailed 33-32 after half number one.
- The Tornado shooting woes seemed to go away in the second quarter as King shot 57.1 percent from both the field and the three point line.
- Emmanuel started the third quarter with an 8-2 run to put King down 41-34 early in the quarter.
- However, the Tornado countered the Lions run with a 13-4 run of their own to take a 47-45 lead. Taylor Freeman recorded five points during the run.
- Unfortunately, the Lions finished off the quarter on an 8-0 and the Tornado found themselves trailing 53-47 at the end of the third quarter.
- The fourth quarter was a high scoring affair despite King not shooting their best from the field.
- King found themselves trailing 72-58 with 3:32 remaining in the game. However, the Tornado used a 9-0 run to close the gap in the finally three and a half minutes to find themselves only down 72-67 with 21 seconds left in the contest.
- Unfortunately, King was not able to trim the lead any farther. Late free throws by the Lions sealed the game for Emmanuel as they defeated King 74-67.
- West led the Tornado with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Holloway and Owens dumped in 11 points each for King.
- Freeman posted seven points and five assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Mikayla Trombley and Avery Scarbrough each scored 15 points to lead the Lions offense.
- Lochlain Corliss posted seven points, 12 rebounds and six assists for Emmanuel.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West's double-double today gives her six double-doubles in her last seven games.
- Owens posted a career-high 11 points in the contest.
- With the loss to Emmanuel, King's six-game winning streak is snapped. The streak was King's longest of the season.
- King travels to North Greenville University Tuesday night for a 5:30 pm start.
- Emmanuel hosts Converse College Tuesday night.