BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team revenged an early season overtime loss to Southern Wesleyan University with a 89-54 victory over the Warriors Saturday afternoon. On senior day, fourteen Tornado players scored in the contest including a team-high 14 points scored by Kristen Cupples.
FINAL SCORE: King 89, Southern Wesleyan 54
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-10, 10-6 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 6-17, 5-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado scored the first points of the game after Allison Littleton drove the lane and made a two-point basket with 7:29 remaining in the first quarter.
- After trading buckets midway through the quarter, King used a 12-4 run to extend their lead to 20-10 with 28 seconds remaining in the first quarter.
- After one, the Tornado led the Warriors 20-12. Kori West scored seven points in the quarter to lead King.
- In the second quarter, Southern Wesleyan cut the Tornado lead to 27-26 with 3:42 remaining in the half.
- However, the next possession down for King, Ali Golden drilled a triple from deep to boost the Tornado lead to 30-26 and start another late quarter run.
- A 10-1 run by the Tornado to end the half was capped off by a Che' Davis three point basket to give King a 40-27 lead. Davis led the way for the Tornado in the first half with eight points and seven rebounds.
- Amy Van Deventer scored the opening basket of the half on the first Tornado possession to extend the King lead to 42-27.
- However, Southern Wesleyan did not go away and cut the King lead to 10 points with 5:04 remaining in the quarter.
- Arnelle Collins answered the Warrior run, however, with a long range basket with 4:51 left in the quarter to extend King's lead to 50-37.
- The Tornado closed the quarter on an 11-0 run to take a 64-42 heading into the fourth quarter. Cupples scored six points on two triples to lead King in the quarter.
- King opened the fourth quarter on a 16-3 run that was capped off by an Arielle Holloway three point basket. The run gave the Tornado an 80-46 lead with 4:29 remaining in the contest.
- The Tornado went on to close out the game and take an 89-54 victory over the Warriors.
- Cupples led the way for King with a game-high 14 points including four triples.
- Collins recorded 13 points while Van Deventer posted nine points and nine rebounds for the Tornado.
- Littleton posted six points and six assists for King.
FOR THE FOES
- Tatiyana Mahone led the Warriors with 13 points and nine rebounds.
- Breanna Richardson recorded 12 points and six rebounds for Southern Wesleyan.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado have scored at least 20 points in seven straight quarters.
- King had 14 players score in the contest. This mark has not been reached since the Tornado joined the NCAA in 2010.
- Littleton posted a career-high six assists and a season-high six points in today's contest.
- King hosts Limestone College Wednesday night at 5:30 pm in a Conference Carolinas matchup.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to take on Emmanuel College February 17.