BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team hosted Limestone College Wednesday night in a Conference Carolinas matchup. Despite Kori West posting 19 points and 17 rebounds, the Saints held off a late run made by the Tornado to win 65-60.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 65, King 60
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-11, 10-7 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 20-4, 15-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- An Arnelle Collins layup got the ball rolling for King as the Tornado scored the opening points of the game.
- King fell behind midway through the first quarter, but an Ali Golden jumper cut the Tornado deficit to 14-11 with 1:58 remaining in the quarter.
- However, the Saints finished the quarter on a 5-0 run and the Tornado found themselves trailing 19-11. King struggled shooting in the first quarter as they only shot 28.6 percent from the field.
- The Tornado faced a double digit deficit early in the second quarter, but an Arielle Holloway basket cut the Saints lead to eight points with 6:10 remaining.
- However, King could not make any more dents into the Limestone lead and found themselves trailing 36-23 at the half. The Tornado struggled shooting again in the second quarter as they shot 22.2 percent from the field.
- The Saints used a quick 5-0 spirt to start the third quarter as they extended their lead to 41-27 with 5:43 remaining in the quarter.
- King trailed by double digits with 5:43 remaining in the quarter and never cut the deficit to single digits for the remainder of the quarter. The Tornado headed to the fourth quarter trailing 52-38.
- In the fourth quarter, the Tornado opened up with a 10-3 run to cut their deficit to 55-50 with 8:14 remaining in the game. A Taylor Freeman layup capped off King's run.
- Kori West posted two of her team-high 19 points with 5:57 remaining in the contest to bring the score to 60-54.
- Another West basket with 18 seconds left brought King to within three points as the Tornado trailed 63-60.
- However, the Saints made two free throws to late to hold off the Tornado. King fell to Limestone 65-60.
- West led the Tornado with 19 points and 17 rebounds.
- Collins finished the contest with 14 points while Freeman chipped in nine points and three assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Jasmine Richardson torched the net tonight as she dropped in 37 points including six triples.
- Keidra Smith recorded eight points and 10 rebounds for the Saints.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West posted her tenth double-double of the season with her 19 point, 17 rebound effort.
- King travels to Belmont Abbey College Saturday night for a 5:30 pm start.
- Limestone hosts Barton College Saturday.