FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The 21st-ranked King University men's wrestling team posted two champions and two runners-up on Saturday at the Georgia Open. Landon Goforth and Joey Mammolenti both won their respective weight classes to lead the Tornado.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 149 pounds Goforth started his day with a 19-3 technical fall victory over Cole Burton of Truett McConnell University and followed that with a 7-2 decision over Life University's Denver Stonecheck to reach the semifinals.
- He then took another 7-2 decision, this time defeating Southeastern University's Kyle Kirkham. In the final, Goforth took a 12-2 major decision over Sammy Peticos of UNC Pembroke to take the title.
- The Tornado had a good day at 174 pounds, having the top two finishers. Mammolenti finished first while Darius Rutland took a runner-up finish.
- Mammolenti started is day with a pair of falls, pinning Thomas Ray of Lindsey Wilson College in 1:12 and Life's Layne Clark in 1:09.
- In the semifinals he defeated Colton McMahan of Emmanuel College on a 16-0 technical fall before defeating teammate Rutland in the final 9-2.
- On the other side of the bracket, Rutland started with a 1:53 pin of Jordan Eakin of Belmont Abbey College. He followed that with a 7-1 decision over Caleb Spears of Spartanburg Methodist College in the quarterfinals.
- Rutland earned a 12-2 major decision over Emmanuel's Melvin Nimely in the semifinals before falling to Mammolenti in the final.
- At 133 pounds, top-ranked Dustin Kirk finished runner-up with a 4-1 mark on the day. He started with a 5:48 pin of Rory Roderick of the University of South Florida before taking a 14-4 major decision over Lindsey Wilson's Dante Castellano.
- In the semifinals he earned a 7-4 decision over Spartanburg Methodist's Tramon Jenkins. However, in the final he fell to Southeastern's Olson Delisca 5-3.
- Both Elijah Seay and Eldon Valery, Jr., came away with consolation championships at 197 and 285 pounds, respectively.
- Following a first round defeat, Seay rolled off three straight wins, including a 16-0 technical fall over Isaiah Demello of Lindsey Wilson in the consolation championship.
- Valery also dropped his first match, but then won four straight matches, the first by major decision and the next two by pin. He defeated Brewton Parker's Jose Garcia 3-2 in the consolation championship.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 - Dustin Kirk 4-1, 2nd
141 – Jacob Wynn 1-2
149 – Landon Goforth 4-0, 1st
197 – Elijah Seay 3-1, Consolation Champion
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 4-1, Consolation Champion
- King hosts Belmont Abbey College on Tuesday in the Student Center Complex in their first dual of the season. It also marks the first Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) dual of the season for both squads.