INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The 20th-ranked King University men's wrestling team wrapped up competition at the 39th Annual Midwest Classic with a 21st place finish. Top-ranked Dustin Kirk led the way for the Tornado, finishing third at 133 pounds.
KING RESULTS: 21st of 35 (31.0)
LOCATION: Indianapolis, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kirk got off to a slow start on Sunday, falling to eventual champion Darius Bunch of West Liberty University in the semifinals.
- However, Kirk bounced back in the 133-pound consolation bracket. He started with a 5-3 decision over 10th-ranked Lawrance Dudgeon of Ashland University before defeating fourth-ranked Josh Walker of Upper Iowa University for the second time in as many days.
- Kirk earned a takedown in the first overtime, defeating Walker 3-1 to take third place.
- Elijah Seay and Eldon Valery, Jr. also reached the second day of the Midwest Classic at 197 and 285 pounds, respectively.
- Seay fell to Logan Kemp of West Liberty 5-4 in consolation round four, and Valery, Jr., dropped a 2-1 decision to Brandon Reed of Lindsey Wilson College in consolation round four.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 0-2
133 – Dustin Kirk 5-1, 3rd
141 – Bryan Flores-Garcia 1-2
149 – Landon Goforth 0-2
157 – Matthew Danner 1-2
165 – Darius Rutland 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 1-2
184 – Kody Eichlin 0-2
197 – Elijah Seay 2-2
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 3-2
- King returns to action on January 9 when they travel to Emmanuel College for an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) dual that is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m.