BRISTOL, Tenn. – The 22nd-ranked King University men's wrestling closed their dual season on Monday night when they squared off with UNC Pembroke in an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) match. The Braves grabbed the lead early and didn't slow down, taking the 35-12 victory.
FINAL SCORE: UNC Pembroke 35, #22 King 12
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-7, 3-3 ECAC; UNC Pembroke 12-10, 5-1 ECAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNC Pembroke took an early lead with a major decision at 125 pound and followed that with three straight decisions to take a 13-0 lead.
- At 149 pounds, Landon Goforth used a four-point takedown to break a 7-7 tie with Tyler Makosy in the third period.
- However, Makosy came back and got a late takedown and near fall to overcome a 12-10 deficit and take the match 16-12.
- The UNC Pembroke lead grew to 35-0 following a pair of forfeits and a pin before Elijah Seay got the Tornado on the board.
- At 197 pounds, Seay pinned Bryce Walker in 4:18.
- Eldon Valery, Jr., then took the 285-pound match by forfeit, but the Braves took the dual 35-12.
UNC Pembroke (12-10, 5-1 ECAC) 35, #22 King (6-7, 3-3 ECAC) 12
125 – Nick Daggett (UNCP) maj. dec. Reed Jacks (KING), 19-6 (UNCP 4-0)
133 – Jayquon McEntryre (UNCP) dec. #4 Dustin Kirk (KING), 8-5 (UNCP 7-0)
141 – Luke McDonough (UNCP) dec. Jacob Wynn (KING), 9-2 (UNCP 10-0)
149 – Tyler Makosy (UNCP) dec. Landon Goforth (KING), 16-12 (UNCP 13-0)
157 – Eric Milks (UNCP) Maj. dec. Matthew Danner (KING), 10-2 (UNCP 17-0)
165 – Rodney Shepard (UNCP) wins by forfeit (UNCP 23-0)
174 – Brandon Sloop (UNCP) wins by forfeit (UNCP 29-0)
184 – Faris Teia (UNCP) pinned Kody Eichlin (KING), 6:44 (UNCP 35-0)
197 – Elijah Seay (KING) pinned Bryce Walker (UNCP), 4:18 (UNCP 35-6)
285 – Eldon Valery, Jr. (KING) wins by forfeit (UNCP 35-12)
- King will be in action again February 23-24 at the Super Region II Championships in Indianapolis, Ind.
- The Braves will also be in action again at the Super Region II Championships.