MARS HILL, N.C. – In a game that was supposed to be played on Tuesday, the King University women's soccer team played a solid defensive game at Mars Hill University. The Tornado had a pair of scoring chances, and Olivia Drake played solid in goal as the teams played to a 0-0 draw.
FINAL SCORE: King 0, Mars Hill 0
LOCATION: Meares Stadium; Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORDS: King 0-2-1; Mars Hill 1-1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado started on the offensive end, earning a corner kick and taking two shots in the first 10 minutes.
- Mars Hill then turned the field, taking four shots over a 10 minute span, but King goalkeeper Drake saved three shots to keep the game scoreless.
- Drake made two more saves over the final 15 minutes of the first half, keeping the game scoreless at halftime.
- The Lions kept the offensive pressure on at the beginning of the second half, earning three corner kicks in the first five minutes.
- Miranda Smith had a scoring chance in the 49th minute on a free kick, but the shot was turned away by the Mars Hill goal keeper, Kaitlyn Danglemaier.
- Mars Hill had a chance to get on the board in the 90th minute, but Drake again came up with a save, sending the contest to overtime.
- Smith had the only chance for either team in the first overtime, ripping her shot high in the 100th minute as the game went to a second overtime.
- King registered two corner kicks in the 105th and 106th minutes, and off of the first corner, Brianna Barrett came up with a scoring opportunity.
- However, her shot was saved by Danglemaier.
- Two minutes later, Smith ripped a shot from 25 yards out that was deflected by the Danglemaier off the post to keep the game scoreless.
- Drake came up with another save in the 109th minute as the game ended in a scoreless draw.
- Drake made eight saves for the shutout.
- Smith led King with four shots, one on goal.
- The Tornado took eight shots in the contest, placing two on goal.
- King also has three corner kicks in the match.
FOR THE FOES
- Mars Hill took 17 shots in the game, putting eight on frame.
- Danglemaier made a pair of saves for the Lions.
- The Lions also had eight corner kicks in the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double overtime contest was the first for King since the final two games of 2015 when the Tornado dropped a pair of contests to Converse.
- That season, King played five overtime games, including four that went to double overtime.
- King ended the 2015 season with a pair of ties, one in double overtime and one that was ended due to weather.
- For the second time this season, Drake has come within one save of her career-high of nine.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they travel to Erskine College. Kickoff from Due West, S.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill travels to Converse College on Saturday.