HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team opened the season with a tough four-set match against Carson-Newman University. The teams split the first two sets before the Eagles took the final two sets to take the match 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 3, King 1 (28-26, 16-25, 25-20, 25-19)
LOCATION Mary Mars Gymnasium; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Carson-Newman 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King fell behind early, having to call timeout down 9-4 in the first set.
- However, the Tornado regrouped behind veterans Becca Huddleston and Amy Serowski. The duo on a 14-5 run, giving King an 18-14 lead.
- Both Huddleston and Serowski served up a pair of aces on the spurt while Cathy Scaniffe and Tristyn Lozano came away with two kills each on the run.
- The Tornado led 22-17 before the Eagles went on a run to even the score and take a 24-23 lead.
- The teams traded points until Carson-Newman scored three straight points to take the set 28-26.
- King got out early in the second set and didn't look back, hitting .278 as a team in the frame.
- A pair of Huddleston kills gave King a 13-4 advantage and forced an Eagle timeout.
- Huddleston eventually gave King the set 25-16 with her seventh kill of the set.
- In the third set, Carson-Newman had the upper hand from the onset, forcing a King timeout trailing 8-2.
- The Tornado went on a 6-2 run late in the set to pull within 22-19, but the Eagles responded to take the set 25-20.
- The Eagles jumped ahead early again in the fourth set and the Tornado couldn't recover.
- King tried to put a run together late in the set, but Carson-Newman held off the spurt to take the set 25-19 and the match 3-1.
- Huddleston led the way for the Tornado with 18 kills and 16 digs for the double-double.
- Scaniffe followed with 17 kills and Lozano chipped in with eight terminations.
- Abby Anderson dished out 38 assists to go along with four digs.
- On the defensive end, Serowski led four Tornado in double figures with 22 digs. Rebekah Hill followed with 12 digs and Sydney Pigage added 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Biro, Megan Oldenburger and Emily Harnischfeger led the way for Carson-Newman with nine kills each.
- Setters Anna Patton and Elena Vasquez dished out 14 assists each. Vasquez added 11 digs for the double-double.
- Morgan Ballard led the defense with 22 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Huddleston marked her first of the season and 13th of her career.
- For Anderson, the 38 assists set a career-best.
- King takes on Lincoln Memorial University at 8:00 p.m. on Friday night.
- Carson-Newman squares off with Lee University at 5:30 p.m.