BELMONT, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team headed to Belmont Abbey College Wednesday night for a Conference Carolinas matchup, but fell to the Crusaders in three sets. The Crusaders defense was tough and made it difficult for the Tornado offense to get going.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 3, King 0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-19)
LOCATION: Wheeler Center; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 4-6, 1-2 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 6-4, 2-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started slow getting down 12-5 early in the first set, however, the Tornado fired off six straight points to bring the score to 12-11. Becca Huddleston served the entire time during the run.
- The set was close the remainder of the way, but a three point run by Belmont Abbey at the end pushed the Crusaders to a first set victory.
- The second set went back and forth early, but back-to-back kills by Cathy Scaniffe then a service ace by Abby Anderson followed by a kill by Victoria Gause put kill up 11-10.
- The score was evened at 23-23 with a kill from Huddleston, but back-to-back points by the Crusaders made it 25-23 giving them a 2-0 lead going into the third set.
- To start the third set, King got down 15-5, but managed to claw their way back into the set to make it 21-15.
- The Crusaders proved to be too much in the third as they finished the Tornado off by winning the third set 25-19 and ultimately the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe led King with 15 kills.
- Anderson handed out 27 assists and Serowski led with 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Mackenzie Chrapliwy led the Crusaders with 11 kills.
- Cassidy Bonito recorded 33 assists and 10 digs.
- King is back on the road Tuesday to face UVa-Wise at 7:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.