BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team had their home opener tonight where they hosted Erskine College in a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado offense was strong tonight as they took the match in three straight sets to defeat the Flying Fleet.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Erskine 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-6, 2-2 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 1-12, 0-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started out strong as they took an early 4-1 lead in the first set behind back-to-back Cathy Scaniffe service aces.
- As the first set developed, the Tornado and Flying Fleet traded points, but a 7-1 King run midway through the set helped propel them to a 21-13 lead. One of Becca Huddleston's six kills within the first set came during the King run.
- A kill by Abby Anderson late in the set pushed the Tornado to a first set victory 25-17.
- King carried over their momentum from the first set into the second set as they went on a 14-1 run early to take a 16-5 lead. Huddleston recorded three kills during the run along with three services aces from Amy Serowski.
- The second set finished up with kills by Tristyn Lozano and Victoria Gause to give the Tornado the set victory 25-14.
- King made another great run to start off the third set as they rattled off ten points to Erskine's one making the score 16-6 early on. Huddleston and Emma Carico both recorded two services aces during the Tornado run.
- Huddleston, Scaniffe, and Gause all had kills during the later part of the set to give King not only the third set win 25-17, but the match victory 3-0 too.
- Huddleston led the way for King with 15 kills.
- Anderson delivered 22 assists and Serowski led with 13 and five services aces.
FOR THE FOES
- Kristen Kaiser recorded 7 kills for the Flying Fleet.
- Reilly Bartlett led Erskine with 13 assists.
- King is back in action tomorrow when they face Emmanuel College at 2:00 p.m.
- Erskine heads to Lees-McRae College tomorrow.