SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team came away with a resounding win at Converse College on Friday evening. Becca Huddleston led the Tornado offense with 19 kills as the Tornado took the 3-0 road victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Converse 0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-23)
LOCATION: Hannah Gymnasium; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 10-12, 5-6 Conference Carolinas; Converse 4-20, 1-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a good start in the first set, posting 14 kills and taking the set 25-21.
- Huddleston led the offense, recording eight kills and hitting .357 in the set.
- Following a Converse 3-0 spurt, Victoria Gause brought the serve back to the Tornado, who rolled off seven straight points with Abby Anderson at the line.
- Huddleston posted a pair of kills and Anderson added an ace on the run.
- Anderson started the second set with a pair of aces to put the Tornado ahead.
- The Tornado didn't slow down after that, taking the set 25-14 behind six more kills from Huddleston.
- King used a 5-0 to turn a 9-8 lead into a 14-8 advantage, capped by a pair of Huddleston kills.
- Reghan Humphreys registered a pair of kills down the stretch and Gause ended the set with a kill.
- The Tornado didn't slow down in the third set, quickly opening up a 7-2 advantage.
- The King advantage grew to 17-11 before Converse started to work their way back, pulling within 24-23.
- However, Kayley Holtzclaw came up with a kill, giving King the 25-23 victory.
- Huddleston led the way with 19 kills and eight digs.
- Anderson handed out 32 assists to go along with four kills, five digs and four service aces.
- Amy Serowski led the defense with 24 digs while Rebekah Hill posted 12 digs and four kills.
FOR THE FOES
- Journee English led the way for Converse with seven kills to go along with three digs.
- Lauren Tharrington posted 12 assists.
- Jordan Mrkvicka led the defense with 19 digs and Sydney Allen added 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Huddleston matched her career-high of 19 kills for the third time, and second time this season.
- The 24 digs for Serowski marks the seventh time this season she has eclipsed 20 digs in a match.
- Hill set a career-high with four kills.
- King travels to take on Limestone College on Saturday. First serve from Gaffney, S.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Converse hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.