FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The four-time defending national champion King University women's wrestling team opened their collegiate season with a solid showing at the Emmanuel Open on Saturday. The Tornado had three individuals win titles as part of seven individual placers at the event.
FINAL SCORE: No team scores, seven placers and three champions
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 101 pounds there were double champions, Marina Doi and Regina Doi who each won both of their matches to reach the finals. Marina Doi took 10-0 and 11-0 technical fall victories while Regina Doi won with technical falls, 10-0 and 15-4.
- Clarc Walker also came away with a title, winning all three of her matches at 191 pounds. Her first two wins came by pin in 58 seconds and 1:29. She then topped Avery Sims on an 11-0 technical fall in the finals.
- Also at 101 pounds, Cassidy Ferrell finished sixth after reaching the quarterfinals. In the consolation bracket she defeated Madisen Alvarado of Lindenwood University on a 10-0 technical fall before pinning Charliette Hammer of Emmanuel College.
- Allison Petix and Nicole Joseph took home runner-up finishes at 130 and 136 pounds, respectively.
- Petix started her career with a 10-0 technical fall win over Samantha Croker of University of the Cumberlands before topping Amanda Nelson of Ferrum College on a 12-1 technical fall.
- However, in the finals she fell to Emmanuel's Abigail Nette.
- Joseph defeated Cumberlands' Ashley Ikner 10-0 on a technical fall before pinning University of Alberta's Krystin Paquette in 5:42. She reached the finals with a 10-0 technical fall win over Jessica Elery of Lyon College.
- However, she fell to Korai Sugiyama of Campbellsville University on a tight 4-3 decision.
- The final placer for King was Briana Kellin at 123 pounds, taking fourth place.
- She dropped her first match of the day, but bounced back to roll off three straight wins to reach the third place bout.
- She started with a 3:31 pin of Brewton Parker College's Savannah Stacks before earning a 15-6 decision over Taylor McPherson of Alberta.
- Kellin then pinned Trinity Duarte of Emmanuel in 5:25 before falling to Cumberlands' Kellyann Jimenez in the third place match.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
109 – Jordan Daniels 2-2
130 – Allison Petix 2-1, 2nd
136 – Nicole Joseph 3-1, 2nd
143 – Leilani Vital 2-2
170 – Keely Sage 0-2
- King will be in action again on Friday and Saturday at the Patriot Duals in Williamsburg, Ky.