BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University acrobatics & tumbling team opened the season with home meet against Converse College. The meet was close in the first half, but the Valkyries pulled away in the second half to take the win 261.805-248.720.
FINAL SCORE: Converse 261.805, King 248.720
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-1; Converse 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado started strong with a score of 36.85 in the compulsory event, matching the fifth highest mark in program history.
- King held the lead after the first even as Converse scored 36.45.
- Converse made up ground in the acro event, outscoring the Tornado by one point. The Valkyries scored 29.95 while the Tornado posted a score of 28.85.
- In acro heat one, the group of Moira Lyons, Caitlin Adams, Tosha Banks and Maya Fuller matched the program-best score of 9.80. That led King to match their fifth highest score in the event.
- The Valkyries extended their lead prior to halftime, scoring 29.70 in the pyramid event while King scored 27.15.
- At the half, King trailed 93.95-92.95.
- In the toss event, the Tornado scored 25.05, only to be outscored by Converse's 26.85.
- King tried to cut into their deficit in the tumbling event, but the Valkyries held their advantage, scoring 51.175 in the event.
- The Tornado scored 50.550, putting their deficit at 171.975-168.55 entering the team event.
- Converse posted a score of 89.83 in the final event while King scored 80.17, giving Converse the win 261.805-248.720.
- King hosts Gannon University on February 25 in an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) matchup. The meet is scheduled to start at 12:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Converse travels to Georgetown College (Ky.) on February 16.