BRISTOL, Tenn. – In their first home Conference Carolinas series, the King University baseball team dropped a pair of contests to 17th-ranked University of Mount Olive. The Trojans took game one 9-3 before winning the night cap 4-1.
FINAL SCORE: #17 Mount Olive 9, King 3; #17 Mount Olive 4, King 1
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-11, 1-7 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 18-5, 8-0 Conference Carolinas
- Preston Douglas led the offense, going 3-for-7 with three runs scored on the day.
- J.P. Castaneda and Braden Cook record two hits apiece on the day as well.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Douglas got the Tornado off to a good start in game one with a one-out double in the second inning. He later scored on a Tyler Bailey groundout, giving King the early 1-0 lead.
- The score remained the same until the fifth inning when Mount Olive used a squeeze play to score Alvin Swoope who tripled earlier in the inning.
- Mount Olive took the lead in the sixth inning on a Jason Smith double that scored one and added another on a Bradley Ragan single to take a 3-1 lead.
- The Trojans broke the game open in the top of the ninth inning when Ricky Surum ripped a grand slam and Drew Ellis connected on a two-run home run, giving Mount Olive a 9-1 advantage.
- King didn't give up as Douglas started the bottom of the inning with an infield single. He later scored on a Ryan Sattz sacrifice fly.
- Cook later drove in Bubba Ruiz, but the Tornado couldn't score any more runs as the Trojans took the game 9-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Surum went 2-for-4 and drove in four while David Mayo record two hits and scored twice.
- Swoope recorded two hits and Ellis drove in a pair.
Winning Pitcher: Brighton Hudson (3-0) 6.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (4-2) 5.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Mount Olive used another big inning to grab the lead in the second game, scoring three runs in the third inning.
- Mayo came up with the big hit of the frame, a three-run home run.
- King came back in the bottom of the inning and plated one run on a Trojan defensive miscue, cutting the deficit to 3-1.
- The Trojans tacked on an insurance run in the sixth inning when Ellis led off with a double and later scored on a Zach Mozingo double.
- King couldn't get any offense going against Austin Hutchison or Zach Vennaro as the Trojans took the game 4-1.
Winning Pitcher: Hutchison (6-0) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO
Save: Vennaro (1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brandon Leonard (1-3) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Mayo drove in three runs to lead the Trojan offense.
- Mount Olive's top three hitters all registered one hit and scored once.
- The teams finish their three game series on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.