BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team hosted Erskine College on Friday afternoon. A 5-4 game after five innings, no runs were scored after, the Tornado getting edged by one run.
FINAL SCORE: Erskine 5, King 4
LOCATION: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-16, 2-11 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 22-8, 12-1 Conference Carolinas
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
2. Braden Cook – LF
3. Preston Douglas – RF
4. Dylan Sligh – 1B
5. Anthony Hunt – C
6. Tyler Bailey – SS
7. Austin Dayton – 3B
8. Ryan Sattz – DH
9. Nicolas Keister – CF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Brandon Leonard
Erskine Starting Lineup
1. Chase Watts– CF
2. Trevor Wood – RF
3. Chaz Davey – 3B
4. Chris Rave – DH
5. Henry Faunce – 1B
6. Connor Greene – 2B
7. Destin Nichols – C
8. Brett Silas – SS
9. Taylor Maxey – LF
Starting Pitcher: RHP Michael Carpin
- Hunt did a lot of the damage for the Tornado, going 1-for-3 with a two-run home run and three runs batted in on the day.
- Castaneda went 2-for-5 hitting a double and scoring a run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King brought home a run in the bottom of the first to take the early 1-0 lead when Castaneda doubled to start the inning, later being driven in by a Douglas RBI single through the right side.
- The Flying Fleet came back with a three spot in the top of the third, highlighted by a Rave two-run double that drove in Wood who singled earlier in the inning and Watts who had reached on a fielder's choice to make the score 3-1.
- The Tornado edged closer 3-2 with a run in the bottom of the third when Cook singled to left field to start the inning. Sligh later followed with a single to center field, advancing Cook to third before being driven in by a Hunt sacrifice fly to left field.
- Erskine scored two more runs in the top of the fifth to extend the lead to 5-2, highlighted by Heiss reaching on an error that scored Faunce who had doubled to left center earlier in the inning and Rave who had singled to center.
- With a two spot in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Tornado came right back to within a run 5-4. Sligh singled to left field with two outs and was then brought in by a Hunt home run down the left field line.
- After the next three innings featured no runs by either team, King tried to rally in the bottom of the ninth. Castaneda singled to right with one out and advanced to second on a wild pitch, but was left in scoring position to end the game, the Flying Feet taking the contest 5-4.
FOR THE FOES
- Designated hitter Rave went 2-for-4 in the game with a two-run double.
- Faunce was 2-for-5 including a double and RBI single.
Winning Pitcher: Carpin (6-2) 6.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leonard (2-4) 5.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 0 SO
- The series wraps up tomorrow. First pitch is set for 12:00 p.m.