ANDERSON, S.C. – The King University baseball team split a doubleheader with Anderson University on Saturday, falling 2-0 in game one and taking game two 4-0 behind a stellar outing from Octavio Mirabal. Mirabal tossed a complete game, giving the Tornado their first win of the season.
FINAL SCORE: Anderson 2, King 0; King 4, Anderson 0
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium; Anderson, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Anderson 2-1
- Tony Valdes led the Tornado offense, going 3-for-7 on the day and scoring a pair of runs. He went 2-for-3 and scored twice in game two.
- Mark Michael and Kevin Barbato each recorded two hits on the day with Barbato ripping a triple.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The opening game was a pitcher's duel between Grant Boyd for the Tornado and Will Gee for Anderson.
- The Trojans were the first to striking, getting a run on Boyd in the second inning. A two-out walk started a rally before Tyler Berry came up with a single through the right side to give Anderson the 1-0 lead.
- Gee held the Tornado to three hits in the contest, one in each of the first two innings and Michael tried to start a rally in the fifth inning.
- However, a double play ended the inning.
- Anderson tacked on an unearned run in the eighth inning and the Tornado went down in order in the ninth, giving the Trojans the 2-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: Will Gee (1-0) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO
Save: Matthew Stanley (1) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Grant Boyd (0-1) 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The nightcap was well pitched as well, but this time the Tornado ended up breaking through, starting in the first inning.
- Valdes opened the contest with a double and later scored on a pair of wild pitches, putting the Tornado on top.
- On the mound for the Tornado was Mirabal who tossed a complete game, allowing four hits, all coming in separate innings.
- He stranded a pair of runners I the second inning and later in the sixth inning he stranded two more with a strikeout.
- Barbato stretched the King lead to 2-0 with a triple that scored Valdes in the third inning.
- In the fourth inning, King plated a pair of runs, one on a single from Michael and another on a single from Tyler Bailey, putting King ahead 4-0.
- Mirabal made that stand up as he retired the Trojans in order in the seventh inning.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (1-0) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Austin Todd (0-1) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- William Thomas, Tyler Miller, Chandler Castleberry and Chase Stephens all recorded two hits on the day for Anderson.
- Tyler Berry dove in one run on one hit for the Trojans.
- King will be in action against Davis & Elkins College next Saturday and Sunday in the home opener for the Tornado. The teams will play a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m. each day.
- Anderson hosts North Greenville University on Tuesday afternoon.