BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team squared off with one of the better teams in the region on Tuesday afternoon, Lincoln Memorial University. The game was scoreless until the Railsplitters put up 11 runs in two innings en route to the 13-3 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 13, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-3; Lincoln Memorial 10-2
TIME OF GAME: 3:32
King Starting Lineup
1. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
2. Mark Michael – 3B
3. Tony Valdes – CF
4. Bubba Ruiz – C
5. Ashton King – RF
6. Austin Meyer – RF
7. Kevin Barbato – LF
8. Hunter Barbour – 1B
9. Tyler Bailey – SS
Starting Pitcher: LHP Ashton King
Lincoln Memorial Starting Lineup
1. Marco Rios – 3B
2. Seth Hunt – CF
3. Logan Augustine – RF
4. Tyler Adams – SS
5. Timmy Wages – 1B
6. Muta Crusoe – DH
7. Henry Moore – LF
8. Mason Ewers – 1B
9. Joe Stucky – 2B
Starting Pitcher: RHP Jack Gomersall
- King led the offense, going 2-for-2 with a walk.
- Bailey went 1-for-2 with a double and run scored and Coby Sale scored a pair of runs.
- Rob Sari registered his first career hit.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lincoln Memorial threatened in the fourth inning, loading the bases, but King induced a groundout to get out of the jam.
- King responded with a pair of runners in the bottom of the inning, but couldn't push anything across.
- Mason Ewers started the fifth inning for Lincoln Memorial with a single and a pair of hit by pitches loaded the bases.
- Christian Lindsey then entered the game for the Tornado on the mound, and nearly escaped the jam. However, Wages came up with a two-out, two-run single and Crusoe made it a 4-0 lead with another run-scoring single.
- The Tornado answered with back-to-back two-out doubles from Bailey and Castaneda, cutting their deficit to 4-1.
- Lincoln Memorial answered, however, scoring seven runs, three unearned in the sixth inning to take an 11-1 advantage.
- The lead grew to 13-1 following two runs in the seventh inning.
- Ben Donaldson got the Tornado back on the board with a run-scoring single.
- King scored another in the ninth, but that was it as Lincoln Memorial took the contest 13-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Augustine went 2-for-3 with two runs batted in and three runs scored.
- Wages went 3-for-5 and drove in three.
- Crusoe registered a pair of hits and Stucky scored twice.
Winning Pitcher: Jake Grenus (2-0) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jared Bridges (0-2) 0.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
- King hosts Barton College at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in their Conference Carolinas opener.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts Wingate University on Friday night.