BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University continued their hot steak to start Conference Carolinas play with a doubleheader sweep of Emmanuel College. The Tornado offense came alive in game one, pounding out 16 hits in the 16-3 victory before scoring early in their 7-4 game two victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 16, Emmanuel 3; King 7, Emmanuel 4
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-4, 4-1 Conference Carolinas; Barton 5-11, 0-8 Conference Carolinas
- Austin Meyer had a productive day at the plate, going 4-for-4 with three walks and two doubles. He also scored four runs and drove in two.
- Mark Michael also recorded four hits on the day and drove in four, including three in game two.
- J.P. Castaneda drove in four with his first home run of the season, a grand slam in game one.
- Ashton King scored four runs on two hits, one triple.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Emmanuel grabbed the lead with two runs on a single from Hanon Price.
- The Lions extended their lead to 3-0 with another run in the second inning.
- Emmanuel could have scored more, but Grant Boyd struck out back-to-back batters to end the inning and leave the bases loaded.
- The Tornado offense erupted in the second inning, as Kevin Barbato ripped a double to score Bubba Ruiz and Meyer evened the tally with a sing that score Tyler Bailey.
- Castaneda had the big blow, a grand slam to left center, vaulting King into a 6-2 lead.
- King added three runs in the third and another in the fourth, stretching their lead to 10-2.
- In the fifth, Meyer started the inning with a double and King followed with a triple. He later scored on a Michael single.
- Ruiz made it a 14-2 lead with a two-run single later in the fifth.
- Harrison Barger extended the King lead to 16-2 with a two-run single in the eighth.
- The Lions scored one in the ninth, but the Tornado took the contest 16-3.
Winning Pitcher: Grant Boyd (4-1) 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Bryson Cornett (3-1) 1.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado got ahead early in the second game as the second batter of the first inning, Michael ripped a double that scored Castaneda and put King ahead.
- Tony Valdes followed with a double that scored Michael and scored on a Ruiz single to give the Tornado a 3-0 lead.
- Michael stretched the Tornado lead to 5-0 with a two-run double down the left field line in the second.
- Following a Meyer run-scoring double in the third that gave King a 6-0 lead, the Lions got on the board in the fourth inning.
- Emmanuel plated four unearned runs in the fourth inning, cutting their deficit to 6-4.
- King added another in the fifth inning and Octavio Mirabal made that standup, giving the Tornad the 7-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Octavio Mirabal (4-1) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO
Losing Pitcher: Dalton Kuhn (3-1) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Price posted four hits on the day and drove in two runs to lead the Lions.
- Jake Nichols drove in a one with two hits on the day.
- King goes for the series sweep on Sunday as the teams square off again at 1:00 p.m.