BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University took a pair of nonconference victories from Kentucky Christian University on Tuesday afternoon. Scott Spradlin tossed a complete game, leading King to a 4-0 victory in game one before the offense led the Tornado to a 7-1 game two victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 4, Kentucky Christian 0; King 7, Kentucky Christian 1
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-11; Kentucky Christian 0-20.
- Tyler Bailey and Toney Valdes each hit home runs on the day. For Bailey that was his fourth of the season and Valdes' fifth.
- Bailey also scored four runs while Valdes drove in a pair.
- Kevin Barbato scored three runs one two hits, including a double.
- Coby Sale drove in a pair in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King got on the board in the second inning when Valdes ripped a triple that scored Cam Haymans with two outs.
- The score remained the same until Barbato ripped a double off the center field wall in the fifth, scoring Bailey. Hunter Barbour then drove in Barbato to give King a 3-0 lead.
- Valdes gave Spradlin an insurance run with a leadoff home run to center field in the sixth.
- Spradlin then worked around a one-out single to give King the 4-0 win and his first career complete game.
Winning Pitcher: Scott Spradlin (1-0) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: David Gifford (0-5) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 5 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado grabbed the lead in the first inning as they manufactured a pair of runs. Valdes and Bailey each were hit by a pitch to start the game.
- A wild pitch scored Valdes from second, and another wild pitch scored Bailey to give King a 2-0 lead.
- Bailey gave King a 3-0 lead with a leadoff home run in the third inning.
- The Knights cut into the deficit on an Austin Wells single that scored Brock Damron in the fifth inning.
- King put the game out of reach with a pair of runs in each the fifth and sixth innings. Sale drove in a pair with a triple in the fifth and Barbato ripped a single to left, scoring Bailey in the sixth.
- Barbato also scored on the play following a defensive miscue, giving King a 7-1 lead.
Winning Pitcher: Ethan Jenkins (1-0) 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Zachary Gusler (0-1) 0.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Jacobs and Blake Conley both posted two hits in game one.
- In game two, the Knights were led by Wells and Damron who posted two hits each.
- Damron scored one run and Wells drove in one.
- King travels to Mars Hill University on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m.
- Kentucky Christian travels to Milligan College on Wednesday.