BURLINGTON, N.C. – The King University baseball team played against nationally ranked North Greenville University Sunday afternoon in the Conference Carolinas baseball championships. The Tornado struggled against the second-ranked team in the nation and fell to the Crusaders 20-1.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 20, King 1
LOCATION: Burlington Stadium; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: King 29-18; North Greenville 42-6
TIME OF GAME: 2:09
King Starting Lineup
1. Tyler Bailey – SS
2. Mark Michael – 3B
3. Kevin Barbato – LF
4. Bubba Ruiz – C
5. Ashton King – DH
6. J.P. Castaneda – 2B
7. Tony Valdes – CF
8. Austin Meyer – RF
9. Hunter Barbour – 1B
Starting Pitcher: George Helbig
North Greenville Starting Lineup
1. Josh Black – LF
2. Utah Jones – SS
3. John Jones – C
4. Connor Grant – CF
5. Ryan Brown – 3B
6. Jeffrey Chandler – RF
7. Andrew Plunkett – 1B
8. Jared Williams – 2B
9. Alex Williams – DH
Starting Pitcher: Blake Hamilton
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It did not take long for the North Greenville bats to come alive in this one as second-ranked team in the nation scored nine runs through the first three innings.
- The Crusaders would add to their lead in the fourth inning, scoring another run to make the contest 10-0 North Greenville.
- In the bottom of the sixth, North Greenville added three more runs to extend their lead to 13-0 after six complete innings.
- The bats kept rolling for the Crusaders as they posted three more runs in the bottom of the seventh inning.
- While the Crusaders were rolling offensively, the Tornado struggled against the North Greenville pitching staff. A Blake Hamilton no-hit effort was broken up in the top of the eighth inning following a Trader Flora double to right center field.
- King was able to score a run in the top of the ninth inning on a Flora single that brought home River Laskey, however, that is all the Tornado would be able to put on the board in the contest. North Greenville eventually would defeat King 20-1.
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Williams led the Crusaders with three hits and five RBI's on the day.
- Blake Hamilton carried a no-hit bid until the eighth inning and would finish the game with eight strikeouts.
- Winning Pitcher: Blake Hamilton (5-2) 7.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO
- Losing Pitcher: George Helbig (4-1) 2.0 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
- King will play the winner of the Belmont Abbey College vs. the University of Mount Olive game at 7:00 pm tonight in an elimination game with the winner advancing to the Conference Carolinas baseball championship final tomorrow.
- North Greenville advances to the finals of the Conference Carolinas baseball championship.