BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team opened their season opener with a doubleheader sweep against Uva-Wise. Big innings and strong late game pitching helped King come out on top in both games.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, UVa-Wise 2; King 8, UVa-Wise 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-3; UVa-Wise 0-2
- Hunter Barbour went 4-for-6 with two doubles and a three-run home run.
- Tony Valdes tripled twice in the same inning of game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Cavaliers got out to the lead first with an RBI double down the left field line in the in the first inning 1-0.
- UVa-Wise would add on to their lead in the top of third by way of pass ball, 2-0.
- The Tornado would answer in the bottom of the third as Barbour started off the inning with a double down the right-field line.
- Nathan Jaye would then walk and Valdes would be hit by a pitch to load the bases.
- Rob Sari would then step up and drive in two with a line drive through the left side of the infield.
- Junior Renwick would follow with a single of his own to drive in Valdes and give King the lead 3-2 going into the fourth.
- George Helbig came in and shut down the Cavalier offense for the rest of the game and earn his first win of the season.
Winning Pitcher: Helbig (1-0) 4.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Landon Faulkner (0-1) 2.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- UVa-Wise came out swinging it in the first inning putting up six runs taking advantage of a pair of errors by the Tornado defense.
- King would answer with a solo home run over the right centerfield wall by Jaye to cut the Cavalier lead 6-1
- UVa-Wise extended their lead again in the top of the fifth by way of pass ball 7-1 and held the momentum going to the sixth inning.
- The Tornado would have an answer, however, as Valdes led off the sixth inning with a triple.
- Sari and Kevin Barbato would follow with back to back RBI hits to cut the lead down 7-3
- After a Trader Flora walk, Barbour stepped up to the plate and hit a 3-run home run over the right field fence to cut the lead down to 1, 7-6
- David Carnicella continued the rally with a single up the middle and found his way on third after a pair of pass balls. He would eventually score on a wild pitch to tie the game at 7.
- After a Deric Graham walk, Valdes knocked an RBI triple to left center giving King their first lead of the game.
- Ashton King would come out in the top of the seventh and shut the door to earn his first win of the year.
Winning Pitcher: King (1-0) 6.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nate Thompson (0-1) 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Gabe Wurtz went 2-for-5 on the day with one double.
- Greg Duncan pitched 5.0 innings striking out eight and only giving up one run.
- King returns to the field tomorrow for another doubleheader against UVa-Wise, first pitch scheduled for 12:00 pm.