JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. – The King University baseball team returned to the diamond at Carson-Newman University on Thursday afternoon. The Tornado scored first, but the Eagle had more big innings, taking the contest 9-5.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 9, King 5
LOCATION: Silver Diamond; Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-4; Carson-Newman 8-1
TIME OF GAME: 2:52
- Tony Valdes scored twice and hit a home run.
- Kevin Barbato and Austin Meyer both recorded two hits in the contest.
- Hunter Barbour drove in a pair of runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Valdes got the scoring started in the third inning when he ripped a home run to center field, giving King the advantage.
- However, the Eagles answered with five runs in the bottom of the inning.
- The frame was highlighted by a two-run single from Killian Daughtry.
- Carson-Newman extended their lead to 6-1 with a run in the fourth before King responded in the sixth inning.
- Barbour laced a two-run double before David Carnicella later drove him in with a single, cutting the King deficit to 6-4.
- The Eagles regained a four-run advantage at 8-4 as Tyler Thompson and Jordan Griffin hit back-to-back home runs to start the seventh inning.
- Carson-Newman added an insurance run in the eighth inning, taking a 9-4 lead into the ninth.
- Barbato drove in one in the ninth, cutting the Tornado deficit to 9-5 with one out.
- King continued to the load the bases, but Matt Bradley came in and got the final two outs, giving Carson-Newman the 9-5 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Thompson scored twice and drove in two runs.
- Daughtry drove in a pair while Ethan Goforth scored twice on two hits.
Winning Pitcher: Tyler Shaver (1-0) 5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Eric Calderon Jr. (0-2) 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Save: Matt Bradley (5) 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
- King hosts Lincoln Memorial University at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.
- Carson-Newman hosts Northland University on Friday.