BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team took on Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday. Tornado bats came alive after the first couple of innings being mainly pitching dominant to take the game 8-3.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Lincoln Memorial 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-5; Lincoln Memorial 6-6
TIME OF GAME: 3:10
- Austin Meyer Led the Tornado with a three-run home run and a double on the day.
- Kevin Barbato goes 2-for-3 with a solo home run, his first of the season.
- Joe Cottone collects his first career save.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bats were at a standstill in the first three innings as both Braden White and Ben Wiley were pitching well, throwing up zeros in the first three innings of work.
- After the Railsplitters were retired in order, Barbato stepped up to the plate and knocked a round-tripper over the left field fence to give King their first hit and lead of the game in the bottom of the fourth, 1-0.
- Lincoln Memorial answered quickly in the top of the fifth as Seth Hunt doubled down the left field line bringing in two runs to take the lead 2-1.
- Momentum switched back to the Tornado side as David Carnicella lead of the inning with a walk.
- Tony Valdes then drew a two out walk, Meyer then followed with a three-run home run to give King the lead once again 4-2.
- King was not done in the 5th as a Barbato single followed by back to back doubles from Hunter Barbour and Junior Renwick gave King a comfortable 6-2 lead.
- Both teams would have scoreless innings in the sixth and the Railsplitters would have a scoreless inning in the top of the seventh as well.
- In the bottom half of the seventh King would add two more runs behind hits from Barbato and Barbour once again.
- Lincoln Memorial would add one more run in the eighth but the Tornado had all but sealed the deal and took the contest 8-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Hunt was 2-for-5 on the day driving in two runs
Winning Pitcher: Ben Farlow (1-0) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ben Wiley (0-1) 4.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
- King opens conference play at home against Chowan University at a TBD date and time due to weather precautions.
- Lincoln Memorial travels to Anderson University.