BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team opened up conference play against Chowan University with a pair of losses 10-1, and 6-3. Chowan had a strong day offensively taking two from the Tornado.
FINAL SCORE: Chowan 10, King 1; Chowan 6, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-7, Conference Carolinas 0-2; Anderson 6-2-1, Conference Carolinas 2-0
- Junior Renwick went 2-for-4 in game two with a double.
- George Helbig pitched 6.1 innings only allowing two earned runs, five hits and striking out four.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Hawks struck first in the second inning as Marquise Lanier led off the inning with a single. After an error, Lanier was scored by way of sacrifice squeeze play and was followed by a double brought in another run before the inning was over to take the early lead 2-0.
- King would answer in the bottom half of the third. Tony Valdes started it off with a leadoff walk. After back to back stolen bases by Valdes, Kevin Barbato brought him in with a sacrifice fly out to cut the lead in half 2-1.
- The Hawks grabbed a 4-2 lead on a solo home run from Lanier in the fourth.
- After a pair of scoreless innings, Chowan took advantage of some King miscues in the sixth to bust the game open 8-1.
- Chowan would extend their lead once again in the seventh and take the game 10-1.
Winning Pitcher: Wyatt Beakler (2-1) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton King (1-1) 5.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Chowan would strike first again in game two taking advantage of Tornado errors and miscues once again in the top of the second and third to take the early 4-0 lead.
- Both teams would be at a stalemate until the seventh inning.
- In the seventh Trader Flora led off the inning with a single to left center.
- Valdes followed with a single through the left side of his own and was followed by a Barbato walk.
- Barbour then hit a slow groundball to the pitcher in which he threw the ball away causing the bases to clear and the Tornado to come within one, 4-3.
- However, the Hawks responded by adding runs in the top of the eighth and ninth to eventually take the game 6-3.
Winning Pitcher: Ryan Gallaccio (1-0) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Helbig (1-1) 6.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
Save: Jack Kane (2) 2.1 IP, 1 H,0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Lanier went 7-for-9 on the day with four RBI.
- Beakler had a complete game, only allowing three hits and striking out three.
- King returns to the field on Tuesday when they travel to Tusculum University. First pitch is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
- Chowan travels to Barton College on Friday.