GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University baseball team traveled to Tusculum College on Tuesday after playing a doubleheader Monday against Chowan. Tusculum took firm control of the game firm the beginning and was able to defeat King 19-4.
FINAL SCORE: Tusculum 19, King 4
LOCATION: Pioneer Field; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-8; Tusculum 11-7
TIME OF GAME: 3:55
- Ashton King went 1-for-2 with his first home run of the season
- Chase Hilliard records the first hit of his career.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tusculum struck first in the bottom of the second after starting off the inning with a pair of singles.
- The Pioneers then took advantage of Tornado errors. After the error was committed Zach Finchum doubled over the head of Kevin Barbato and was soon followed by another double to take the early lead 4-0.
- After a scoreless third inning, Tusculum would add six more runs to the board in the fourth to balloon the Pioneer lead to 10-0.
- King would answer in the top half of the fifth with King leading the inning with a round-tripper.
- Barbato then followed with a double, and after a David Carnicella walk, Hilliard stepped up to the plate and knocked his first career hit and to bring in two runs for the Tornado and cut the lead down to 10-3.
- However, Tusculum would regain momentum and hold it by placing an equalizing three spot in the bottom half of the fifth to bring the lead back up to 13-3.
- The Pioneers would add two more runs in the sixth and four in the seventh to put the game away and take the victory 19-4.
FOR THE FOES
- Seth Dehaven went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and three runs batted in.
- Christian Cuba earns the win striking out five in 2.1 innings of work.
Winning Pitcher: Cuba (1-3) 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Braden White (0-1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
- King is back home on Friday to take on Southern Wesleyan University on Friday, first pitch scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
- Tusculum travels to Wingate University.