FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University baseball split a pair of Conference Carolinas games at Emmanuel College on Friday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 6-3 before falling 2-1 in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, Emmanuel 3; Emmanuel 2, King 1
LOCATION: Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 7-9, 3-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 12-11, 5-6 Conference Carolinas
- Junior Renwick led the Tornado offense with four hits, two doubles and his first career home run. He drove in two and score two on the day.
- Ashton King collected three hits, including a double as well.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado pitched well in game one as George Helbig got the start and tossed six innings where he allowed three runs, one earned on five hits.
- He struck out four on 83 pitches before being relieved by King.
- King proceeded to throw the final three innings, and strike out eight.
- Meyer got the Tornado offense off to a good start with a leadoff home run to start the first inning.
- In the second inning, a Renwick two-run home run that drove in David Carnicella gave the Tornado a 3-0 lead.
- The Lions, however, responded with a pair of runs in the second inning and evened the score with an unearned run in the third inning.
- Tony Valdes got the Tornado offense going again with a single in the fifth inning before King drove in him with a single to center, evening the tally.
- In the sixth, Renwick doubled and later scored on a wild pitch, extending the King lead to 5-3.
- Carnicella added on an insurance run for the Tornado when he ripped a single that scored Valdes in the ninth.
- In the bottom of the ninth, King struck out all three batters he faced to give the Tornado the victory.
Winning Pitcher: George Helbig (3-1) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Bryson Cornett (2-1) 5.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Save: Ashton King (1) 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Emmanuel jumped ahead two batters into the bottom half of the first inning on a double from Jake Nichols that scored Brock Baughcum.
- The Lions added another run on a groundout later in the inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- The King offense was held down by Lion starting pitcher Cooper Murphy. The Tornado had a base running in every inning from the second to the sixth, but came up scoreless in four of those innings.
- King broke through in the sixth when Nathan Jaye single and advanced to second on an error.
- Valdes later drove him in with a double to left field.
- However, that was all King would score as the Lions took the game 2-1.
Winning Pitcher: Cooper Murphy (4-1) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton King (1-2) 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Baughcum led Emmanuel with four hits, including a triple and scoring two runs.
- Kyle LaCross and Nichols recorded two hits each.
- The teams conclude the Conference Carolinas series with the rubber game at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.