BRISTOL, Tenn. – In the series finale, the King University baseball team fell to 11th-ranked University of Mount Olive. The Trojans scored six runs in the first three innings and the Tornado couldn't get their offense going as Mount Olive took the game 7-2.
FINAL SCORE: #11 Mount Olive 7, King 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-11, 5-5 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 17-6, 8-3 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 3:12
- Banks Presson led the Tornado offense with two hits.
- Tony Valdes scored a run and drove in one.
- The Tornado had their chances offensively, stranding 11 runners on base.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive put their first three batters on base before a sacrifice fly got the Trojans on the board.
- Junior Snow then drove in two with a single to left field, extending the lead to 3-0.
- Mount Olive extended their lead to 6-0 with three runs in the third inning, highlighted by a two-run Zach Smith double down the left field line.
- Blake McLean manufactured a run in the fourth inning following a one-out single. He advanced to third on a wild pitch and later scored on another wild pitch.
- King got on the board in the fourth inning as David Carnicella as hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, scoring Valdes.
- However, that was all King scored as they left the bases loaded.
- The Tornado again loaded the bases in the fifth inning, but again the Trojans got out of the inning to keep the 7-1 lead.
- The score remained the same until the ninth inning when Trader Flora ripped a leadoff double.
- He later scored on a Valdes sacrifice fly, but that was all King scored as Mount Olive took the game 7-2.
FOR THE FOES
- McLean led Mount Olive with three hits and three runs from the leadoff spot.
- JT Stone also posted three hits while Snow drove in three.
Winning Pitcher: Caleb Irwin (4-0) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (0-1) 5.0 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
- King returns to action on Tuesday when they host Carson-Newman University at 3:30 p.m.
- Mount Olive next takes on Georgia College on Wednesday.