BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team fell behind Carson-Newman University 9-1, but the Tornado battle back to even the score at nine. The Tornado again came back and knotted the score at 10, but King couldn't make another comeback in the ninth as the Eagles took the contest 12-10.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 12, King 10
LOCATION: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-12; Mount Olive 19-10
TIME OF GAME: 3:32
- Tony Valdes led the Tornado with three runs batted in on two hits.
- Junior Renwick posted three hits, scored two runs and drove in one.
- Austin Meyer and Kevin Barbato each posted two hits and two runs. Barbato also drove in two.
- Hunter Barbour ripped his second home run of the year and scored twice.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carson-Newman took a 3-0 lead in the third inning as Tyler Thompson highlighted the inning with a two-run single to left field.
- The Eagles added two more on a John Sharpe two-run double in the fourth.
- Barbour got King on the board with a home run down the right field line in the fourth inning.
- However, Carson-Newman bounced back with four runs in the fifth inning. Sharpe again ripped a two-run double, this time down the right field line to highlight the frame.
- The Tornado offense got going in the fifth inning as Barbato drove in a pair with a single to left field, cutting the King deficit to 9-3.
- In the sixth inning, King scored five runs on four hits, highlighted by a Valdes two-out, three-run double that pulled King within 9-8.
- A pinch-hit sacrifice fly from Ashton King that scored Renwick and evened the score at 9-9 in the seventh.
- Carson-Newman regained the lead with a run in the eighth inning on back-to-back hits to start the frame.
- With two outs in the eighth, Renwick came up with an 0-2 single up the middle that scored Barbato and evened the score at 10.
- A Mark Treadway triple gave the lead back to Carson-Newman as Evan Goforth scored in the ninth inning. Treadway scored on a wild pitch, giving the Eagles a 12-10 lead.
- King couldn't get the offense going as Hunter Long retired the Tornado in order in the ninth as Carson-Newman took the game 12-10.
FOR THE FOES
- Sharpe posted two hits, drove in four and scored twice.
- Jordan Griffin paced the Eagle offense that recorded 16 hits with three hits.
Winning Pitcher: Logan Cogburn (4-0) 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Rob Sari (1-1) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Save: Hunter Long (2) 1.0 IP, 0 H 0 R 0 ER, 0 BB 2 SO
- King travels to Barton College for the Conference Carolinas series opener on Friday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
- Carson-Newman hosts Tusculum University on Friday and Saturday.