WILSON, N.C. – The King University baseball team was in action again on Saturday for a Conference Carolinas doubleheader against Barton College. The Bulldogs would come out victorious in both games with Jakob Ryan throwing a complete game with 17 strikeouts to secure the sweep.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 10, King 7; Barton 9, King 5
LOCATION: Nixon Field; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-15, 5-8 Conference Carolinas; Barton 22-12, 10-5 Conference Carolinas
- Tony Valdes goes 4-for-6 on the day with two RBI on the day.
- David Carnicella goes 4-for-7 on the day driving two runs in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Barton drew first blood in the first inning started off by a Jacob Marcos double and was followed by back to back walks from Troy Maslowski and Hunter Pearre.
- The Bulldogs would drive in two runs on back to back ground outs and capped off the inning with a Gatlin Pate single to take the early lead 3-0.
- The Tornado would answer in the top of the third where they plated four runs with the big hit coming from Carnicella driving in two runs on a single up the middle. King took the lead 4-3.
- The King lead was short lived as the Bulldogs answered with two runs of their own in the bottom half of the third behind RBI singles from Pate and Brayden Olson.
- King would tie the game again at 5 behind a Hunter Barbour single to right center to drive in Kevin Barbato who singles to start the inning.
- Barton would put the game away in the bottom of the fourth, however, scoring four runs in the inning with the big blow coming in the way of a 3-run home run from Martinez to right center.
- The Tornado would add two more runs in the fifth to cut the Barton lead down 9-7 but the King rally would be cut short and the Bulldogs eventually took the contest 10-7.
Winning Pitcher: Andrew Davis (1-0) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Rob Sari (1-2) 1.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Save: Colby Warren (2) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Barton wasted no time getting on the board in game two once again, scoring one run in the first inning.
- The Tornado responded as Austin Meyer and Kevin Barbato found their way on base with a hit by pitch and a double respectively. Valdes followed with a sacrifice fly ball to center field to drive in Meyer and tie the ball game at 1.
- The Bulldogs would answer in the bottom of the fourth scoring three runs all coming with two outs in the inning.
- After a pair of scoreless innings on both sides, Barton would add a run in the seventh and two runs in the eighth inning to balloon the lead up to 7-1.
- The deficit would prove to be too much for the Tornado as Barton completed the sweep 7-1
Winning Pitcher: Ryan (3-3) 9.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 17 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (0-2) 6.2 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ryan throws a complete game with 17 strikeouts in game two.
- Maslowski goes 4-for-7 on the day scoring three times and driving in one.
- The Tornado travel to Mars Hill on Tuesday. The non-conference match-up is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- Barton travels to Limestone College on Friday.