MARS HILL, N.C. – The King University baseball team traveled to Mars Hill University and came back to take a lead in the middle innings. However, the Lions had three big innings late to take the contest 25-6.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 25, King 6
LOCATION: Henderson Field; Mars Hill; N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-16; Mars Hill 13-18
TIME OF GAME: 3:49
- Hunter Barbour led the Tornado with two hits and two runs scored.
- Harrison Barger and Trader Flora also posted two hits for King.
- Barger and Austin Meyer each drove in two.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill grabbed the lead in the first inning on a three-run home run from Scottie Lee.
- The Lions extended their lead to 4-0 with an unearned run in the second inning.
- Kevin Barbato got the King offense going with a leadoff single in the fourth inning.
- Tony Valdes followed with a walk and Barbour loaded the bases with a single.
- Nathan Jaye got King on the board with a sacrifice fly, and later in the inning, Meyer put the Tornado ahead 5-4 with a two-run single up the middle.
- An infield single and double for Mars Hill evened the score at five in the bottom of the inning.
- King regained the lead on a Barger single that scored Barger in the fifth.
- Mars Hill regained the lead in the sixth when they played six runs, highlighted by a two-run single from Brett Brubaker as the Lions took an 10-6 lead.
- The Lions tried to put the game out of reach in the seventh inning as they plated eight runs.
- Matt Honeycutt highlighted the frame with a three-run home run.
- Mars Hill tacked on seven runs in the eighth inning as they took the game 25-6.
FOR THE FOES
- Honeycutt led Mars Hill, driving in four runs on two hits.
- Lee and Austin Purser drove in three runs apiece while Purser also scored three runs.
- Jordan Lathe scored a team-high four runs.
Winning Pitcher: Cameron Howell (3-4) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Jared Bridges (0-2) 3.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
- King travels to take on Belmont Abbey College on Friday. First pitch in the Conference Carolinas series opener is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill travels to Queens University on Friday and Saturday.