BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team was in action again on Friday as they hosted #5 North Greenville University. The Tornado fought back from an early deficit to the Crusaders but ultimately fell one run short, 4-3.
FINAL SCORE: #5 North Greenville 4, King 3
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-20, 6-11 Conference Carolinas; #5 North Greenville 29-7, 16-3 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 2:56
- George Helbig tossed nine innings, only allowing four runs while striking out five.
- Kevin Barbato goes 2-for-5 with two doubles and drives in two.
- David Carnicella records two hits including a double down the right field line
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders came out swinging it in the first inning as Adam Sasser singled after a Utah Jones walk.
- Jeffery Chandler Jr. then belted a three-run home run over the left field fence to give North Greenville the lead 3-0 early on.
- After a scoreless second inning on both sides, the Crusaders added another run to their lead by way of a single to left field from Chandler Jr. once again.
- The Tornado, however, had an answer as Carnicella doubled down the right-field line and Hunter Barbour followed with a walk, all with two outs.
- River Laskey then followed with an RBI double in the right-centerfield gap to cut the North Greenville lead 4-1.
- The score was at a stand-still for the next four and a half inning as both Helbig and combination of multiple North Greenville pitchers went back and forth.
- Barbato then stepped up to the plate with two outs and the bases loaded where he fell in the count with no balls and two strikes.
- Barbato belted a ball to the wall down the left field line to plate two runs and cut the Crusader lead to one, 4-3.
- This would be all the Tornado offense could muster up, as North Greenville eventually took game one 4-3.
FOR THE FOES
- Chandler Jr. goes 2-for-4 driving in all four Crusader RBI.
- Sasser also goes 2-for-4 and scores twice
- Whitehead goes 3-for-3 on the day.
Winning Pitcher: Ethan Garner (5-1) 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 7 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: George Helbig (4-2) 9.0 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
Save: Kipp Rollings (2) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
- King and North Greenville are back in action tomorrow for a doubleheader match-up starting at 12 p.m. to end the series.