BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team gave fifth-ranked North Greenville all they could handle, but couldn't come up with a victory on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado held leads early in each contest, but the Crusaders came back to take game one 8-2 and game two 6-2.
FINAL SCORE: #5 North Greenville 8, King 2; #5 North Greenville 6, King 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-22, 6-13 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 31-7, 18-3 Conference Carolinas
- Hunter Barbour went 3-for-5 on the day with all three hits coming in game two. He also ripped a pair of doubles and drove in on.
- River Laskey, Tony Valdes and Chase Hilliard also posted two hits each on the day.
- Austin Meyer ripped his fourth home run of the year, coming in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Laskey started the second inning with a single and later scored on a Hilliard single, putting the Tornado ahead 1-0.
- North Greenville loaded the bases in the third inning, but Braden White induced a ground ball as the Tornado turned a double play to get out of the jam.
- Meyer stretched the King lead to 2-0 with a home run in the fourth inning.
- However, the Crusaders answered in the fifth inning, scoring a pair of runs.
- Jack Morris drove in one with a double and Jared Williams plated another with a single up the middle to even the tally.
- North Greenville took the lead with six runs on seven hits in the sixth inning.
- Josh Senter and Adam Sasser each had two-run singles in the inning.
- The Tornado offense couldn't get going again as the Crusaders took the game 8-2.
Winning Pitcher: Brock Robinson (2-1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ashton King (1-5) 3.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Barbour sparked the King offense with a leadoff double in the third inning.
- He later scored on a Hilliard single to center to put King on top.
- North Greenville came back with a pair of runs in the fourth inning, the second on a Jeffrey Chandler Jr. sacrifice fly.
- King answered in the bottom of the inning as Barbour drove Kevin Barbato who singled earlier in the inning.
- However, the Crusaders regained the lead in the fifth inning when Jeremy Williams dropped down a squeeze bunt to score Morris.
- North Greenville added a pair of unearned runs in the seventh inning, and another in the eighth to take a 6-2 lead.
- The King offense couldn't get anything going against one of the top pitchers in Conference Carolinas, Tucker Burgess as the Crusaders took the contest 6-2.
Winning Pitcher: Tucker Burgess (9-1) 8.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (1-3) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Williams went 5-for-8 on the day and drove in three.
- Morris added four hits and scored four runs on the day.
- King returns to the diamond on Tuesday when they host Tusculum University at 3:30 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to UNC Pembroke on Tuesday afternoon.