BRISTOL, Tenn. – In what was a see-saw affair, the King University baseball team struck last against Tusculum University on Tuesday evening. The Tornado scored three runs in the eighth, capped by an Austin Meyer two-run double with two outs to take the contest 12-10.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Tusculum 10
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-22; Tusculum 26-16
TIME OF GAME: 4:00
- Hunter Barbour drove in four on the day, including a three-run home run, his fourth home run of the season.
- River Laskey posted three hits on the day and scored two runs.
- Meyer went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two runs batted in.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tusculum grabbed the lead with a run in the first inning, but King countered with Barbour's three-run home run in the bottom half to take a 3-1 lead.
- The Pioneers scored four runs in the second, three on a Bryson Fort double to regain the lead.
- However, King answered with four runs in the bottom half as Tony Valdes drove in one and three came in unearned to give King a 7-5 lead.
- In the third, Tusculum scored one run on a wild pitch and another on a Ford groundout, evening the score at seven.
- King answered, however, score two in the bottom half of the inning. Zachary Thomas drove in Harrison Barger with a double and later scored on a Trader Flora double that put King ahead 9-7.
- The Pioneers threatened to take the lead in the fifth, but left the bases loaded.
- Tusculum took a 10-9 lead in the sixth with three runs, two on a Wes Reynolds home run.
- The Pioneers could have score more runs, but left the bases loaded again.
- King threatened in the seventh, loading the bases with two outs, but they all were stranded there as Tusculum held the 10-9 lead.
- Laskey started at Tornado rally with a leadoff single in the eighth inning. Nathan Jaye then drove in pinch runner Matthew Plotner to even the score at 10.
- Meyer then came up with a two-out, two-run double that put King ahead 12-10.
- Stephen Henderson then worked around a two-out double from Jarel McDade to retire the side and earn his first career victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Reynolds posted two hits, drove in two and scored two runs.
- McDade also registered two hits while Ford drove in four and Nate Montgomery drove in two.
Winning Pitcher: Stephen Henderson (1-0) 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Andrew Willis (2-4) 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
- King travels to Bluefield College on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
- Tusculum hosts Lincoln Memorial University on Friday and Saturday.