BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team earned a split with Erskine College on Friday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 5-2 behind a complete game from George Helbig before the Flying Fleet won game two 9-0 behind a late-inning outburst.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Erskine 2; Erskine 9, King 0
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-23, 7-14 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 24-18, 12-9 Conference Carolinas
- Junior Renwick and Hunter Barbour posted two hits apiece in game one with Barbour and Austin Meyer driving in runs.
- Meyer posted two hits on the day.
- Helbig tossed his third career complete game and second in as many weekends, on 121 pitches.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- King jumped ahead early and Renwick singled and Tony Valdes ripped a double before Barbour singled.
- The single scored Renwick and Valdes scored on a defensive miscue.
- Barbour later scored on a passed ball to give King a 3-0 lead.
- Erskine answered with one run in the second on a groundout, cutting their deficit to 3-1.
- King extended their lead to 5-1 in the fourth inning on a Meyer single that scored David Carnicella.
- The Flying Fleet manufactured another run in the seventh, cutting the Tornado lead to 5-2.
- However, Helbig was locked on the mound for the Tornado as he retired the last four batters of the game, giving King the 5-2 win.
Winning Pitcher: George Helbig (5-2) 9.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Zack Bowers (4-2) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Erskine jumped on top with a pair of runs in the first inning, the first on a Drew Yniesta triple. He later scored on a Cory Everett single.
- That turned out to be all Alex Calvert would need on the mound for the Flying Fleet as he held the Tornado hitless through five and two-thirds innings.
- Meyer recorded the first hit for King in the sixth inning and advanced to third. However, he was cut down at the plate, ending the threat.
- Erskine put the game out of reach with seven runs in the seventh inning, highlighted by a Chad Crouch two-run home run early in the frame.
- A two-run single from Trevor Lesane gave Erskine 9-0 lead.
- Tony Valdes registered a hit in the seventh, but that was all Zach Farmer allowed as Erskine took the game 9-0.
Winning Pitcher: Alex Calvert (7-2) 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Drew Moore (1-4) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Nick Vella had two hits in game one while three Flying Fleet posted two hits in the nightcap.
- Yniesta, Everett, Lesane and Crouch drove in two runs each in game two.
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes on Saturday with first pitch scheduled for 12:30 p.m.